New shoes cheaper than resole?

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 25

Scored a pair of nearly new Anasazi VCS on eBay for $55 shipped. Why do we bother with resoles when new shoes can be found so cheap? No matter how good the resoler, it seems like the shoe is floppy after a few pitches and the resoles I have had haven't lasted as long as the original sole. For my money, unless I'm spending 25% more or so, I'll splurge for new shoes.

Not just spraying on my wicked deal, your thoughts?

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 15

Find a better cobbler. Better than 90% of mine have been as good as new; however, I have had a few bad resoles.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Hobo Greg wrote:Scored a pair of nearly new Anasazi VCS on eBay for $55 shipped. Why do we bother with resoles when new shoes can be found so cheap? No matter how good the resoler, it seems like the shoe is floppy after a few pitches and the resoles I have had haven't lasted as long as the original sole. For my money, unless I'm spending 25% more or so, I'll splurge for new shoes. Not just spraying on my wicked deal, your thoughts?
Let me know when you find TC Pros or Katanas for $55, shipped. I'll stop resoling, too.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,875

Resole jobs keep your shoes out of the waste stream (landfill etc). That's enough reason for me. So you saved a few bucks buying new on EBay. You can buy a new planet when this one's used up... right?

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136

I usually resole because it's cheaper. $25 for a resole + return shipping is cheaper than buying new shoes. Another reason to resole is to get a better/different rubber. For example, I've gotten a lot of my la sportiva shoes resole with C4 rubber because it's better than sportiva's rubber. If you're just gonna buy new shoes, then consider donating your old shoes. Here's a gym for low income youth that could use some shoes

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/pay-it-forward-request/107965287

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Yeah...that deal isn't normal. I've gotten some pretty awesome deals on shoes, but most of the shoes I've bought are more expensive than resoles.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 15
Gunkiemike wrote:Resole jobs keep your shoes out of the waste stream (landfill etc). That's enough reason for me. So you saved a few bucks buying new on EBay. You can buy a new planet when this one's used up... right?
Probably you don't have to buy it, you can just claim it once you get there.
Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 25

Seems I always need a rand so it's like $50. Do I need to send them in sooner perhaps? I've used rubber room and flop house resoles, heard both are good.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136

If you're always needing a rand then you need to send them in earlier. In addition to being expensive, rand replacements also screw with the structure of the shoe and drastically reduce the life of the shoe. If you take good care of the shoes and send them in before damaging the rand then you can several resoles before the upper falls apart. Although you may end up getting news shoes earlier if they get too smelly and/or significantly better shoe technology is developed.

My suggestion for a resoler would be pro deal resoles. $25 per pair for a resole, 9 per shoe for rand replacement. Return shipping is $8 plus $2 for each additional pair. You can even text Benet a picture of your shoes and he'll give you a quote. He provides great customer service and even offered to redo a pair of shoes for free that delaminated after I left them in my car to bake in the heat.

http://www.prodealresoles.com/

jmapping · · Carbondale, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 763
Hobo Greg wrote: Seems I always need a rand so it's like $50. Do I need to send them in sooner perhaps? I've used rubber room and flop house resoles, heard both are good.
Yes. If you have to replace your rand you waited too long. Rock & Resole is awesome. If you send them a picture they will tell you whether it's time to resole or not. I tend to resole a shoe 3 times on average. Some shoes resole better than others but in general if you resole them before burning through the upper it will preserve the structure pretty well. Also, try to avoid walking around in your shoes to protect the mid-sole. Butora also has a nice design that emphasizes maintaining the long-term structure of the shoe.
JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 13
Hobo Greg wrote: Seems I always need a rand so it's like $50. Do I need to send them in sooner perhaps? I've used rubber room and flop house resoles, heard both are good.
Either waited to long or drag your toes.
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

I just replace shoes rather than having them resoled. That being said, I always get at least 50% off and haven't paid over $65 for a pair yet. Evolvs fit my foot best and STP always has killer deals. Paid $50 for my last pair of Luchadors. At that price, it's just not worth dicking around with shipping my shoes off for a resole.

Bryan Gilmore · · New England · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 870

I used to just buy new shoes too, but once I started resoling I was a convert. Far less time spent breaking in new shoes!

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

I used to be able to find evolves for less than a resole. That worked out for a while. I don't think evolves really last as long and aren't structurally able to handle multiple resoles.

I'm on my 4th or 5th sole on my miuras and they are still great shoes. I'm pretty obsessive about watching the wear though. I almost never need new rands. I certainly get more miles on a resole than a new shoe. Every brand and model is like this for me. I think factory soles are extra thin.

The key to getting a lot of resoles is to get something with build quality to a certain level. From my experience that means leather and European (even if assembled in China). Watch your rands. Laces and no elastic embellishments probably help. Crack shoes will never last as long as face shoes. Etc.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. My Katanas are on their third sole and still holding up just fine (albeit getting a bit soft), but my Shamans barely made it to the first resole before the straps started to fall apart. I was shocked at how quickly they fell apart.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 0

Locker, over at Positive Resoles, has done a great job on every shoe I've sent him. I can edge on dimes with shoes he's resoled three times for me.

"Canada" Eric Ruljancich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 315

I always resole. I like to wear high end shoes so it really does save me a ton of money. It's also nice not to always have to throw away almost perfectly good shoes.

A quality resole should be just as good as a new one. In fact I think it's better because I get to keep the shoe that is perfectly broken in.

I'm currently climbing in a pair of shoes I have had resoled 5 times. If one is careful you can get a lot of life out of a pair of shoes.

A few tips:

Resole your shoe when the sole reaches the rand. If you do it later you will need toe caps. Toe caps suck. They cost more and your shoe will never feel the same. Resole early.

Have two pairs of your favorite shoes. One goes to the resoler, the other gets climbed on. No waiting for your shoes. Repeat.

Ask around for people's favorite resoler. I have had great luck with Rock and Resole.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40

Check out Plattsburgh Shoe Hospital since you're on NH.

Mark will make your shoes like new again.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 1,640

For the record.

Resoling is not only about replacing worn rubber. It's also very much about getting the rubber of choice on your shoes.

Example: La Sportiva comes with either Edge or Grip. If you prefer Five Ten C4, or Onyxx, a resole is necessary, and so on.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 1,640
"I just replace shoes rather than having them resoled"

A good direction to take if the shoes are on the cheap side (Usually of lesser quality).

But when it comes to the higher end shoes, like in the $180.00 range, a resole is much cheaper than buying new. (Example: resole C4 4.2mm = $34.00)
Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0
Locker, over at Positive Resoles, has done a great job on every shoe I've sent him. I can edge on dimes with shoes he's resoled three times for me.

+1
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply