Mountain Project Logo

Piedra parada - how to get there and what to bring?

Original Post
Hege Quist-Hanssen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Has anyone been to piedra parada and gone by public transport? We are hoping to get there from bariloche, without renting a car. Any tips? We have found buses to esquel, but no onwards transport.

Also, does anyone know how much the camping costs there and whether there is any groceryshop and watersource nearby (or do we need to bring everything from esquel)?

Harry Netzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 125

The MP page should answer at least a couple of your questions.

It's a cool place but not a destination in itself like Frey.

spiralout · · Bend · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Hi there, as of last year there was a small bus route that went to piedra parada and back from Esquel twice a week(I recall Tuesday and Thursday) I don't remember the exact details but that could be figured out at the bus station there. The cost was pretty minimal, you just need to know when to be standing out at the main entrance to be picked up by the same bus whenever it is that you want to leave and got back to Esquel.

On the canyon side of the river, there is paid camping on a local property that also has a camp store with all the essentials. Otherwise, on the standing rock side of the river you can camp for free and get your water from the river, at the expense of there being no bathroom. The longer approach is okay because this place is crazy beautiful.

Chris Winter · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 305

For sport climbing, Piedra is definitely worth a visit. We were there earlier this year for a couple of weeks and had a great time. We rented a car but met a lot of people that took the local bus from Esquel without much complication.

The "store" run by Mario Moncada and his family is very limited and people with cars were making grocery runs into Esquel periodically for perishables, which is quite a haul. You should bring all the fresh food that you want to eat with you - eggs, veggies, fruit, etc. Mario will sometimes have some of these provisions, but it was spotty. The local bus is used to dealing with climbers toting around boxes of groceries and supplies for the stay in Piedra. Esquel has everything you will need.

All the land is owned by Mario, and we camped in the paid part, which I think was 30 pesos per day or something like that. We also had a lot of friends staying in the free area across the river, and it sounded like they enjoyed that as well. Whichever area you choose, keep in mind that you are guests on Mario's property, owned by his family for three generations, and help him to take care of it.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Mario's is great, and it is 30 pesos. Mario also has potable water. I would not drink the water out of the river if you paid me, but I did swim in it. The opposite side of the river is full of dirtbags, and unfortunately they turned it into a dump. Gualjaina is much closer than Esquel, and as long as you don't shop during siesta, has all you need. Piedra is definitely destination worthy for a sport climber. We had a car for transport.

Martin Schmidt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

How hard is it find a climbing partner in piedra parada? Or what climbing area could you recommend a solo travler in argentina (south america)? I found a piedra parada guidebook online, looks pretty good. Should I give it a try.

Chris Winter · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 305

It's quite easy to find a partner at Piedra Parada.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply