Mountain Project Logo

Choss pile on Classics of utah list? Why?

Original Post
grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

What formula is used to determine a classic. I am working on doing the top 50 classics in Utah. While I realize the list will change a little bit over time, how does something like this chosspile make it on the list of TOP 50 CLASSICS IN UTAH???

mountainproject.com/v/angel…

Route description for the lazy:

Crux #1 - approach the tower from the south.
Crux #2 - walk around it a couple of times to find a seam to nail up. The north east side seemed to be the best.
Crux #3 - hammer in the first or 4 pieces and hope you don't deck when the rock around the 4th piece explodes due to the pressure of your tomahawk pushing against the rock.
Crux #4 - finding a good piece as you come to what you think would be a flat ledge but instead is a ledge of dirt and so-called rock underneath.
Crux #5 - going from the ledge to the top, pulling on seemingly solid cap rock when it suddenly pops off with you hand clenched around it.
Crux #6 - standing on the top, realizing that the block you are standing on has a nice 45 degree break through it which might make a great sliding plane for it to coming sliding off with any extra pressure from above.
Crux #7 - downclimbing to the webbing tied around the neck of the tower and lowering off while the tower continues to crumble.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,711

Sometimes anti-classics are classics.

But, in this specific case, I think its just the route name.

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

Im confused what doesn't sound classic about this ?

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

I lived out there for a few months while I worked for the BLM in Hanksville. Calling that "rock climbing" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I can see why it's rad, I mean look at the pictures, but solo-aiding up one of the viewfinder towers to the north of town just once satiated my choss fix. And those towers are a lot more stable than the AOD, LDS, etc. towers.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

looks pretty cool..

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

The comment section on that climb is top 50!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Now I have that song stuck in my head...

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

Who are you to say its not a classic?

Ryan Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 751

The number of page views is part of the formula for routes to make the classics list. Controversy in the discussion section will boost some routes because people flock to the page to read about it.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Ryan, I bet you are correct. That long, healthy debate probably boosted it. Everyone saying its not a classic - here are the other 49

UT classics

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

So the reason it's a classic...is because nobody thinks it's a classic. And that's what makes it classic.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,821

This is a trip down the rabbit hole. One man's/woman's trash, another's treasure sort of thing. Life is subjective and relative.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

That list of classics is pretty shitty to begin with. There should be a lot less from the creek and a lot more from zion, the fishers, and maybe the swell.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Instead of an Angel of Death how about an Angel of Fear?

mountainproject.com/v/angel…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Choss pile on Classics of utah list? Why?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.