Sun damage to gear?

Original Post
AnnaG19 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Just curious (haven't found much on this online) - i realized i've been storing my draws and harness (both pretty new) near a window. how much of a concern is incoming UV for gear damage?

Thomas H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Would not continue the practice but it is very likely totally fine. Just FYI a good indicator to uv damage on nylon is fading of the color, always check existing rap anchors!

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128

Short term, it's not a problem. Long term, several months of continuous exposure to sun will damage nylon which is indicated by fading colors on the side of the material exposed to the sun.

Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 110

Nylon is UV stabilized. The fading of the color has nothing to do with the integrity of the nylon, the weathering and wear are more of the concerning factors. Also, modern house windows block a lot of the UV rays so thats a factor to consider as well. I would gather to guess that you'er not going to die. I like to compare it to seat belts in cars, they are designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and they sit exposed to sunlight very often. In my entire career as an automotive technician I have never once replaced seat belts due to age, only due to damage.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

climbing friend,

it is no problem, ho ho! unless it's been in direct sun for the couple of decades or longer.

The nylon degrades in strength yes from wear mainly, and the UV ray effect it is negligible yes, ha! ho! myah!

may you experience several bold, difficult, yet enjoyable flash of cutting edge difficulty this weekend coming!

may your forearm become refresh at crux and your mind it is still like glassy smooth water!

just follow your heart, that's what I do!

may all your dreams come true!

Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 110

Yes, yes Climbing Friend Aleks, tat sitting outside in the elements and sunlight is always questionable, but sitting indoors in climate control and sunlight being filtered through modern glass windows, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are, toss it in a plastic bin.

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
Andrewww wrote:Nylon is UV stabilized. The fading of the color has nothing to do with the integrity of the nylon, the weathering and wear are more of the concerning factors. Also, modern house windows block a lot of the UV rays so thats a factor to consider as well. I would gather to guess that you'er not going to die. I like to compare it to seat belts in cars, they are designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and they sit exposed to sunlight very often. In my entire career as an automotive technician I have never once replaced seat belts due to age, only due to damage.
Seat belts are made out of polyester which is more resilient to UV than nylon. Nylon is UV stabilized but that does not make it immune to UV damage. The effects of UV on nylon is well understood and tested in the sailing industry and the conclusion is nylon will degrade when exposed to continuous UV over the course of years. But yes, as it relates to this thread his gear is probably fine.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply