Injury recovery entertainment

Original Post
clare Angelora · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 30

My time has finally come. After 6 years of climbing I earned myself my first real injury - fractured ankle - from bouldering. I have to lay off the ankle and any activities that I'd normally be doing right now - climbing, snowboarding, even driving! It's only been day 5 of recovery and I've come to realize how boring life must be for non-climbing folk. I'm not accustomed to sedentary life! How many TV marathons could I possibly watch?!

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas of things to do while I ride out this recovery. Ex: climbing specific exercises?, movies, netflix, inspiration, books, etc

BryanE · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 335

Read:
Stranger in a Strange Land
Island - Huxley
Narcissus and Goldmund - Hesse

Eric G. · · Saratoga Springs, NY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 70

edgy

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 246

I feel ya. One of the most depressing times in my life was when I had to immobilize my ankle for a few months. I was also told that it may never recover to a point where I could climb or even run and jump again - that was pretty rough on me mentally. (I sure showed them! lol) Here is how I didn't end up jumping off my balcony:

1) Try to keep your cardio up. I found a lot of good resources for people with broken or amputated lower limbs.

2) It's a good time to strength train. I tried to get in as many pullups, off-the-knee pushups, and core workouts as possible. (In the process, make sure to not destroy your good leg's knee. I think I hopped around too much on my good leg.)

3) Build up your Mountain Project to-do list! The majority of my to-dos were added while I was recovering haha... It seems silly, but it is a good way to stay motivated to keep your fitness and health up!

4) If it is something that you can afford time and money wise, begin planning a big climbing objective for when you are back in business. I put together my plan for climbing Artesonraju this upcoming summer while recovering. Again, it's a good way to keep motivated!

5) Don't develop a substance abuse problem! A lot of people end up abusing alcohol or painkillers while they are sitting at home for weeks on end recovering. On week 4, cracking open that new bottle of whiskey was pretty darn tempting. (I cut all alcohol for my recovery and probably came out a healthier person in that regard.)

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

Number two above me is a very good point. Don't hurt your good knee hopping around trying to protect your bad one. Use crutches.

Well you have a fractured ankle. You can still do all the pull ups, pull downs, sit ups, bench presses and most upper body weight exercises you can.

My friend shattered his shin skiing and came back stronger then he was pre injury.

You can learn to drive with your other foot.

I would put the channel changer down and volunteer at your local soup kitchens or museums or non-profits. Some of the people you may meet and the activities you can focus on can be some of the best memories of your life. Don't choose to spend this time sulking at the TV. Especially if you believe you will be bored with it. Some people can watch TV or play world of warcraft or do crossword puzzles all day. If thats not you then get out there and get shit done.

You can also goto night school if you work during the day or get a second job.

Turn this into a productive time!

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,204

You should be doing climbing-specific exercises surely by day 5.

Atrophy of muscles happens fast.
Need to start learning about specific equipment: exercise bands, rubber tubes, dumb-bells, finger-strength devices.

And of course get crutches and get mobile out walking.

Designing and executing Rehab is an interesting challenge - - > Likely will lead to you to new approaches and stronger discipline for future training for new higher levels of climbing performance.

Ken

simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60
I cut all alcohol for my recovery and probably came out a healthier person in that regard.)

Not drinking and/or smoking really does make a difference in recovery.
They say well oxygenated blood is a good thing. Go figure.
My partner fractured her tib/fib while bouldering 7 months ago and has been off the booze and cigs since. Aside from the continual leg rehabilitation she is in better shape overall than before the injury, both mentally and physically.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply