Squamish Access Summer 2017

Original Post
ChossKing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Just read the Squamish Access Society's (SAS) annual report. A lot of changes coming to Squamish by summer 2017.

http://squamishclimbingmagazine.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2016-SAS-AGM-Report.pdf

Skip to page 8 for the info on the Chief campground and FSR parking.

-CK

Jace Mullen · · Oceanside, Ca · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 10

Well, summers in squamish are going to be a whole lot less fun.

Zachary Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 103

Did I miss it, or do they mention NO alternative location for the displaced campers of the Mamquam FSR and other places they intend to eliminate overnight parking? Sounds like it could create new problems unless their solution is more holistic than just enforcement. (I wouldn't consider walk in tent sites with a reservation system a viable alternative for this user group)

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95
Z Winters wrote:Did I miss it, or do they mention NO alternative location for the displaced campers of the Mamquam FSR and other places they intend to eliminate overnight parking?
I read it the same way. Their proposed approach seems to be to crack down on existing options, without viable alternative put forward.

Z Winters wrote: (I wouldn't consider walk in tent sites with a reservation system a viable alternative for this user group)
Agreed. Also, the number of additional sites proposed (20-30) is entirely inadequate to meet the current demand for camping in the area. That shortage would be even worse if van-people are also vying for those sites.

I see two possible outcomes. One is that the van people are displaced to further-outlying camping areas. This will create new impacts.

The other possibility is that this enforcement is deliberately meant to drive away the population of dirtbags hanging around for the summer season. The locals (climbers and nonclimbers alike) are understandably tired of so many dirtbags hanging around for long stretches of time- creating impacts, crowding out parking that the locals want to use, etc. While Squamish is realigning itself to be a tourist destination, they have certainly realized that the van people are not the paying customers that drive the tourist economy. So perhaps the idea is that if they make it signficiantly harder to camp for free and hang around for the season, then some of the van people will spend thier summers elsewhere.

I think that the people who could really lose here are the semi-local climbers in the region. There are lots of climbers in BC and WA who live close enough to visit for the weekend, but not close enough to day trip. If these new restrictions make it impossible to find somewhere to sleep on a Friday or Saturday night, those Squamish weekends will become a lot more difficult to arrange.
JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95

One solution that I haven't seen proposed, but would be a good alternative option, would be a create a designated van camping lot. It would just be a gravel parking lot with basic services (spigot, trash cans, outhouse), and a reasonable fee to support its maintenance (5-10 $ per night). This would be a sensible in-between option to serve people who aren't looking for a pricey, full-service campground, but that is more legit that parking illegally along the Mmaquam. It would also keep the vans out of the Chief lot.

Jace Mullen · · Oceanside, Ca · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 10

We (van people) talked about that a lot last season: If they had a place with a reasonable (that is, not $20/night) fee, and no stay limits we would happily pay for it. We really just wanted a nice flat place to park, access to water and a pit toilet. Of course dirtbags won't pay 20 bucks a night, though many would happily pay $3-5 and not have to worry about their home getting towed.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

There are plenty of places in the US and I am sure Canada that you can still dirtbag in the van for free or cheap. I do not mind staying at a campground for $20 a night if that means I can enjoy a place like Squamish. I prefer Paradise Valley. Its totally worth it for the weekend and its halfway between Squamish and Cheek.

Zachary Winters · · Mazama, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 103
JCM wrote: I think that the people who could really lose here are the semi-local climbers in the region. There are lots of climbers in BC and WA who live close enough to visit for the weekend, but not close enough to day trip. If these new restrictions make it impossible to find somewhere to sleep on a Friday or Saturday night, those Squamish weekends will become a lot more difficult to arrange.
Exactly this. Well, especially from my perspective. I am a Washington native and Squamish is high on my short-list of favorite places on Earth.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply