Partner(s) for Ben Nevis 5/3-7/17

Original Post
Chad Oness · · Minnesota City, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hello,

I will be in Fort William area May 3-7, 2017 looking for a partner or partners with whom to climb some routes on The Ben.

I'm one of those fifty-somethings who has returned to climbing after a few decades off and am enjoying getting back into shape pursuing an old passion. Been developing a new love for ice and alpine ice and would be comfortable on any AI3 or AI4, with a bit of AI5 mixed in. Can lead and have the gear for such.

Would also appreciate travel advice for the trip, places to stay and eat, etc., and resources for route research.

Many thanks,

Chad

PTR · · NEPA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

I can recommend the bunkhouse at Ben Nevis Inn. It's handy to the path, decent bunks, good communal kitchen, etc. Looks like they've added a pub upstairs. If you are willing to spend more, there are tons of B&Bs in the Ft. William area. For example, there is one right next door at Achintee Farm. Good luck finding partners. The big routes on the Ben are certainly a great objective. I can also recommend the climbing on the Buchaille Etive Mor at the top of Glen Coe.

For route information, I think the standard guide is still Simon Richardson's 2002 effort. Check out the SMC website in general. Lots of great information.

Chad Oness · · Minnesota City, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Many thanks,

Just confirmed my reservations for the bunkhouse, and the SMC book is on order. Rockclimbing ain't so bad if the weather doesn't give me ice. Anyone know the local culture enough to know how likely it is to hook up with a partner while I'm there?

Chad

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply