Mountain Project Logo

Original Post
Michael Palmer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 25

I just want to get this out of the way: I realize its impractical, doesn't save any time, and I don't really plan on doing it. I'm asking out of curiosity. The forest service says: 2.) Overnight camping within the area shown on the attached map, Users will be allowed to bivouac fifty (50) feet above base of rocks on the east face of the rocks only. (36 CFR 261.58(e)). fs.usda.gov/detail/mnf/aler… But Its not clear to me what they mean by "base of rocks". Does lower broadway count? upper broadway? summit ledge? gunsight notch? The ledges on kaufman-cardon and the start of bee-sting? I've been able to find examples of people bivying on the summit ledges, alcoa presents, and in the cave (I assume this was not legal) on google. I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experience with this in the summer. Thanks.

Luke Lindeman · · Lancaster, PA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I'd assume that the "base" refers to the lowest point where the climbing starts. The cave, Ecstacy, Candy Corner, Ye Gods, etc...those lower areas.

I've only really heard of folks setting up a bivy right under the summit on those large ledges by the Old Mans/West Pole rap station. I'm sure there are more areas, but what's the point? It's a short hike up and not too strenuous.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to ""
in the Southern States