Get your climbing gear at wal-mart?

Original Post
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

Looks like Wal-Mart has purchased Moosejaw..
http://fortune.com/2017/02/15/walmart-moosejaw/

Maybe someone should call them re: Bears Ears...they might have a lil more "pull" then Patagucci

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888

Watch for the falling prices.....;)JB

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 55

Definitely won't be buying stuff from there anymore. Not going to be giving $ to Walmart.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115

Excellent a clothes line makes a fine rope.

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
John Barritt wrote:Watch for the falling prices.....;)JB
PRICE!!!
Super Fluke · · Earth · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 161
"Teaming up with Moosejaw will allow Walmart to sell a fuller assortment of apparel, including brands like Patagonia, VF's (VFC, -0.69%) The North Face, Marmot and others."

Goodbye to quality in brands sold through Walmart. Walmart expects all manufacturers to reduce the price year after year so they can continue to have low prices. Manufacturers will sacrifice quality in design to meet Walmart demands.
Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Super Fluke wrote:"Teaming up with Moosejaw will allow Walmart to sell a fuller assortment of apparel, including brands like Patagonia, VF's (VFC, -0.69%) The North Face, Marmot and others." Goodbye to quality in brands sold through Walmart. Walmart expects all manufacturers to reduce the price year after year so they can continue to have low prices. Manufacturers will sacrifice quality in design to meet Walmart demands.
I hardly see Patagonia and The North Face succumbing to Walmart's demands anytime soon.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Yeah, no. Goodbye, Moosejaw. Sucks, because we have a local store in Chicago and the folks over there are great, but I guess it's REI or online now.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,361
Alexander Stathis wrote: I hardly see Patagonia and The North Face succumbing to Walmart's demands anytime soon.
I agree, which means those top tier companies will be dropped. Not sure how much they move through Moosejaw, but it certainly can't help them if they lose those sales.

Generally I'm anti-Walmart but do occasionally need something cheap. I guess there's a place for Walmart selling cheap(er) outdoor gear. Isn't that basically what Dick's already does? If I want expedition grade, I'm already not buying anything Walmart would carry anyway.
Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

As a once kind of dirtbag, I cannot really hate Walmart.

They let me sleep in their parking lots a lot.

The zero degree cloth sleeping bag from Walmart is one of the truly great car camping items. I slept every night in one for like a year and it's still the bed in my minivan.

Oh yeah and they made those sweet knockoff Yeti cups that were really just the same cup from the same factory.

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Are the Yeti knockoffs the same? The lid on mine is one of the worst lids I've ever used. The rubber gasket started coming off about the 2nd time I used it. I'd be super surprised if Yeti put out a product so close to being amazing, but forgot to actually test it and make sure it's great.

Billy Danger · · Asheville, NC · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 160

The real question here is why were you reading Fortune magazine?

David Kutassy · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I actually work for Walmart logistics and can tell you the general public view of Walmart isn't very accurate. They get a lot of flack that they don't deserve. I rarely shop at Walmart but depending on the local area they can have some nice stuff including a range of things made in USA. I do try to shop locally but most of my purchases end up being online anyway. If you buy online I really don't think you can bitch about anyone who shops at Walmart. As far as clothing goes their jeans and shirts are the same quality or better than what I've bought at Kohl's and target. I doubt a company like Patagonia will drop their quality purely for moral reasons. Especially given that they're withdrawing from a huge trade show just as a political statement.

The company is trying to diversify so I'd assume that's the goal with buying Moosejaw. I'm by no means in the loop so don't quote me on that! I just work in a distribution center.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

I like WalMart ("Save Money. Live Better.")

Glad they're getting into the climbing market.

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Walmart already sells patagonia among other big name brands. They have for awhile now. Check their online store.

Nikolaas de Jong · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

"Cross training shoe"

Hmmmm.... cringe

Cross training....

Cara Hubbell · · Arvada, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 9
Brian L. wrote: PRICE!!!
This is the funniest comment I've ever read on the MP forum. I laughed for way too long when I read it.
Sam Spuds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 55
Nikolaas de Jong wrote:"Cross training shoe" Hmmmm.... cringe
Hahaha I would love to see goddamn cross fitters scampering around town thinking there the coolest in their cross training shoes hahahaha
Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0
Ana Tine wrote: what will happen to van-life people without walmarts?
yep. love me some Walfart

no cheaper place to buy ammo, and then you sleep much better in the parking lot
Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0
Ana Tine wrote:In Europe(Netherlands) I purchased an ice cream cone from a restaurant and wanted to sit down and enjoy it in the empty cafe I just gave money to, but the employee chased me away yelling ice cream was "take away" only.
That´s got nothing to do with a welcoming culture or greedy businesses, it´s because takeaway food has a different tax than that consumed on the premises.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Jim Titt wrote: That´s got nothing to do with a welcoming culture or greedy businesses, it´s because takeaway food has a different tax than that consumed on the premises.
It has to do with being flat-out rude, regardless of the tax. Taxes in California are different based on eat-in or take out, but they don't tell you to leave because you paid for take-out.

Edit: They will usually ask, "Is this for here or to go?" And I tell them the truth. But to sell you an ice cream, then tell you to leave? I assume she wasn't asked whether it was to eat-in or take out. No tax evasion here. Unless I'm a tax fugitive and don't know it!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply