Marking the END of a rope


Original Post
Robin S · Feb 15, 2017 · OR · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10
I'm buying a 200m rope and cutting it up into 30 and 35m sections for my friends (we all need new gym ropes). I want to mark the ends with the diameter and length of the rope for them--anyone have a creative idea of how to do this? I'll probably resort to some paper and maybe melting a little packing tape? I'm less worried about chemicals since its the very end of the rope.

Thanks!

BigNobody · Feb 15, 2017 · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0
A knot with a tennis ball in front of it

Jeremy Bauman · Feb 15, 2017 · Lakewood, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 645
Reuben Schafir wrote:I'm buying a 200m rope and cutting it up into 30 and 35m sections for my friends (we all need new gym ropes). I want to mark the ends with the diameter and length of the rope for them--anyone have a creative idea of how to do this? I'll probably resort to some paper and maybe melting a little packing tape? I'm less worried about chemicals since its the very end of the rope. Thanks!
I'd use this rocknrescue.com/product/id-...

Kyle Rodrigues · Feb 15, 2017 · Sacramento, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Maybe a label maker with clear heat shrink over it. Haven't done it, just an idea. I would wrap something around the rope with the last couple inches exposed while heating the heat shrink to protect the rope.

Christopher Gibson · Feb 15, 2017 · Frisco, Texas · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0
^^^ Sterling even sends plastic heat shrink wraps with their gym ropes for marking cut rope with lengths and dates.

Super Fluke · Feb 15, 2017 · Earth · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 18

Jon Nelson · Feb 15, 2017 · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,500
Kyle Rodrigues wrote:Maybe a label maker with clear heat shrink over it. Haven't done it, just an idea. I would wrap something around the rope with the last couple inches exposed while heating the heat shrink to protect the rope.
Sounds like a good idea. You might just be able to write the length on the inside of the clear tubing before slipping it over the end. You'd have to write it reversed though. Generally, one buys this tubing in 3-foot lengths, but you can probably get a 3/4" diameter one for less than $5 that would shrink to 3/8".

Kyle Rodrigues · Feb 15, 2017 · Sacramento, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Four feet of 1/2" clear heat shrink that shrinks down to a min of 1/4" is $3.59 at McMaster Carr. Here is the link, scroll down to SKU 7856K17 Link

John Barritt · Feb 15, 2017 · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 865
BigNobody wrote:A knot with a tennis ball in front of it
Then write the size and length on the tennis ball with a sharpie.....;)

DrRockso · Feb 15, 2017 · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 168
Just curious how many people actually still have the marking cap after the 1st month of climbing with a rope. They always seem to pop off. You can always just mark the length with a sharpie.

Sunny-D · Feb 15, 2017 · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 60
I use reflective sign vinyl (tape). Most sign shops have a bin of vinyl that are roll ends with tons of colors. You can ask to buy scrap for a few bucks and the sign shops will gladly give you some. I cut strips and wrap the ends of the rope with a 1/2" to 1" piece. I write on the vinyl with a sharpie pen the info I want then slide shrink tube over that and shrink it.
Reflective is awesome for dawn patrol or climbing into the dark. It makes it super easy to find the ends of your rope.
I have had really good luck using sign vinyl and shrink tube for durability. I have had it pop off but not very often and it is really to put a new one one again.
Dallen

yukonjack · Feb 15, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Max Tepfer · Feb 15, 2017 · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 1,495
Athletic tape and a sharpie. Reapply as needed. (haven't had to yet)

clint helander · Feb 16, 2017 · anchorage, alaska · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 438
BigNobody wrote:A knot with a tennis ball in front of it
that is perhaps the best thing i have ever seen on MP. Well played, sir!!!!

Ryan Mac · Feb 18, 2017 · Seattle · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Cut them all to exactly the same length and remember it, then mark the middle?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply