Where to live

Chris Schmidt · Feb 16, 2017 · Grand Junction · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0
If I was in your shoes I would move to Moab. As others have said the Western Slope of CO is great too, just can be very expensive and hard to find ways to make $. Look at Ridgway, Glenwood/New Castle, Durango, etc. Frisco or Dillon/Silverthorn may also be worth looking into, but the cost of living/difficulty of finding $ will be exacerbated.

Vicinity to Moab was one of the reasons among many others I ended up in Fruita, CO. However, climbing takes a backseat to MTB here. There is a "University" in GJ, just can't say I would recommend it unless you are interested in one of the few programs that are high quality (such as nursing).

PS Nursing is a great versatile career where you can find a job when you need one, and not work when you don't want to.

Jim Turner · Feb 16, 2017 · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 90
I would look at suburbs west of Denver since you like both climbing and boarding and it doesn't sound like you want to live in the mountains. Loveland has good climbing and alpine access but adds almost an hour to the ski areas. Must embrace high prices, traffic to live near Denver Boulder. Doesn't bother me, but to each his own.

Tony B · Feb 16, 2017 · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 21,730
Tyler Metheney wrote: Man that sounds right up my alley. Won't be there till 2018 though. Definitely going to keep this in mind.
There is either turn over or expansion in the department each year. So yeah, look for it. The City/County also hire for similar positions.

Taketaketaketaketake · Feb 16, 2017 · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 29
Colorado Springs is nice, but has some of the same problems as Denver (rent's going up fast).

Fort Collins / Greeley area might be worth looking at.

Crested Butte / Gunnison / Silverton area would be cool to live in for a while at least, but wouldn't expect there to be a ton out there job-wise.

Tradoholic · Feb 16, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 10,925
Tyler Metheney wrote: I appreciate your concern about my financial status but my view of the American dream is different than most. I don't live to work and I never will. I posted this to get input on wholesome areas with some far out climbing, not advice on what I need to do with my life work wise. The most money I have ever made was 12 an hour an it was awesome. I know how to live within my means and it don't take alot to make my wife and myself happy. That's why I fell for her in the first place. I live in Illinois an it by no means is cheap. People make CO out to be the finance boogeyman when in reality the prices aren't much different than where we're at currently. Cheers
Oh to be young again. A teacher's salary and $12/hr?! Get with reality dude. I not trying to stomp your dream, I am trying to save you the pain. Is climbing going to give you all the accomplishment you need in life? Just do the math, if you want to survive you are going to have to get serious on something besides climbing. Life first, climbing is a close second. Peace.

Tony B · Feb 17, 2017 · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 21,730
Tradoholic wrote: Oh to be young again. A teacher's salary and $12/hr?! Get with reality dude. I not trying to stomp your dream, I am trying to save you the pain. Is climbing going to give you all the accomplishment you need in life? Just do the math, if you want to survive you are going to have to get serious on something besides climbing. Life first, climbing is a close second. Peace.
So you are saying that the guy will just have to get a place out in Frederick or Firestone and deal with the daily 30 minute commute? Maybe rent a carriage house in Erie for $1000/month?
Yeah, he's probably NOT going to live in downtown Boulder, but whatever. It's hardly impossible.

Tyler Metheney · Feb 17, 2017 · O · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Tradoholic wrote: Oh to be young again. A teacher's salary and $12/hr?! Get with reality dude. I not trying to stomp your dream, I am trying to save you the pain. Is climbing going to give you all the accomplishment you need in life? Just do the math, if you want to survive you are going to have to get serious on something besides climbing. Life first, climbing is a close second. Peace.
We're looking at places in loveland and ft Collins. We will be quite comfortable in a 12-1400$ a month house or an apartment. You can't stomp my dream so don't worry about that. You make it sound like you have to make 6 figures to live there when you don't. Maybe your spending habits are different than mine? Maybe you have kids? Maybe your wife wants everything under the sun an you buy it? I don't know an really it's none of my business. I do know what we will need to make an it will be anything but hard to pay the rent.Thanks for trying to save me the pain . Cheers

Roy Suggett · Feb 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 6,210
Perhaps the wrong original question. What district gives your wife the most years experience on their pay scale, pays the most, and has the best benefits while being reasonably close to climbing?

Tradoholic · Feb 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 10,925
Tyler Metheney wrote: We're looking at places in loveland and ft Collins. We will be quite comfortable in a 12-1400$ a month house or an apartment. You can't stomp my dream so don't worry about that. You make it sound like you have to make 6 figures to live there when you don't. Maybe your spending habits are different than mine? Maybe you have kids? Maybe your wife wants everything under the sun an you buy it? I don't know an really it's none of my business. I do know what we will need to make an it will be anything but hard to pay the rent.Thanks for trying to save me the pain . Cheers
My advice on where to move is to go where you can establish a career, it will pay dividends to your climbing later. Just do the math, just do the math.

Optimistic · Feb 17, 2017 · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 279
Grand Junction? Lots of rock out there, and not too far from Moab.

Seth Jones · Feb 17, 2017 · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5
Tyler Metheney wrote: Maybe you have kids?
Didn't you say you want kids?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · Feb 17, 2017 · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0
To reiterate what many people have said here, right now you need to focus on the future.

I get it. I lived in a one bedroom dump at that age and climbed 5.13. Everything about that arrangement seemed perfect to me. Life got even better when I ditched the apt for a van.

My 34th birthday hit me hard. We all reach a point where climbing just isn't everything. Figuring that out really should be your priority. Find a career, find a small college in Colorado that educates in that field (pueblo, Trinidad, Grand junction, etc) and begin your journey.

nocogear.com · Feb 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 5
Tyler Metheney wrote: We're looking at places in loveland and ft Collins. We will be quite comfortable in a 12-1400$ a month house or an apartment. You can't stomp my dream so don't worry about that. You make it sound like you have to make 6 figures to live there when you don't. Maybe your spending habits are different than mine? Maybe you have kids? Maybe your wife wants everything under the sun an you buy it? I don't know an really it's none of my business. I do know what we will need to make an it will be anything but hard to pay the rent.Thanks for trying to save me the pain . Cheers
PM sent.

astrov · Feb 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0
OP asks for ideas on where to live.
MP: go to college.

Silverplume · Feb 17, 2017 · Colorado · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0
I love how Tyler asks a perfectly legitimate question and the self-righteous folks come out of woodwork to lecture him about his apparent lifestyle choices or to turn around the discussion to be about them and the choices they made for themselves that they regret (moving to the front range, not moving away from the front range soon enough, moving to the front range and realizing they made the same choice lots of other people made, not earning enough money, etc.).

Really. Get over yourselves.

Tony B · Feb 17, 2017 · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 21,730
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:To reiterate what many people have said here, right now you need to focus on the future. (snip) My 34th birthday hit me hard. We all reach a point where climbing just isn't everything. Figuring that out really should be your priority. Find a career, find a small college in Colorado that educates in that field (pueblo, Trinidad, Grand junction, etc) and begin your journey.
Right.
Focus ont eh future and how you won't be able to do what you are doing now.
And with that in mind, do what you are doing now, now, 'cause when you are older, you won't be able to anymore.

It's as if the comment above implies that this is the only truth, not that your truth changed.

Hell, I wish when I was younger/healthier, I'd have done that. But I didn't.
Now I've got plenty of cash, but no time and my body can't do what it used to.

I'd have done it Tyler's way, were I to do it over. Enjoy more of my youth, then worry about the rest later.

Unless you are a trustafarian the question of "Where to live" inherently includes the question "What job will I have". If the job doesn't matter then live closest to a world class crag as you can. Duh. If someone just wants to go climbing while their wife pays the bills then they need to consider "What job will my wife have?". These type of questions are the ones that adults (that aren't independently rich) ask themselves when considering where to move. The are factors for the OP and to answer the question we, the community, would need to know a little more information.

Or...You could just follow your psyche and don't bother to ask people who don't have the information they need to answer the question.

So, throwing out those adult questions, GO LIVE IN A VAN! Duh.

n00b · Feb 17, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 40
Tradoholic wrote:Unless you are a trustafarian the question of "Where to live" inherently includes the question "What job will I have". If the job doesn't matter then live closest to a world class crag as you can. Duh. If someone just wants to go climbing while their wife pays the bills then they need to consider "What job will my wife have?". These type of questions are the ones that adults (that aren't independently rich) ask themselves when considering where to move. The are factors for the OP and to answer the question we, the community, would need to know a little more information. Or...You could just follow your psyche and don't bother to ask people who don't have the information they need to answer the question. So, throwing out those adult questions, GO LIVE IN A VAN! Duh.
Jeezus, dude. What crab pinched your sphincter? Mebbe yr just pissy 'cause you got run out of Wisconsin.

Tyler Metheney · Feb 17, 2017 · O · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Tradoholic wrote:Unless you are a trustafarian the question of "Where to live" inherently includes the question "What job will I have". If the job doesn't matter then live closest to a world class crag as you can. Duh. If someone just wants to go climbing while their wife pays the bills then they need to consider "What job will my wife have?". These type of questions are the ones that adults (that aren't independently rich) ask themselves when considering where to move. The are factors for the OP and to answer the question we, the community, would need to know a little more information. Or...You could just follow your psyche and don't bother to ask people who don't have the information they need to answer the question. So, throwing out those adult questions, GO LIVE IN A VAN! Duh.
Look guy, it was (In my mind) a simple question with people who live or have lived in CO what is a nice community as well as good climbing nothing more. I work now an I pay the bills but I don't need to break anything down for ya. Sometimes the best advice is none at all if ya know what I mean. But for everyone who has gave me some ideas and new locations for us to look at I appreciate it.

Later

Thanks for the entertainment boys ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply