Where to live

Original Post
Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

So my wife as awesome as she is down to move almost wherever I want for climbing. She appreciates how important it is to me plus she likes it ok. She is a school teacher. At first we were thinking Boulder naturally, but I started researching an due to peoples harsh opinions on lifestyle of that area I decided it's not for us no matter how good the climbing. So my question is where else would you guys recommend in this beautiful state that has decent climbing(sport,alpine). Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,160

Do you work?

I don't have a career if that's what your asking. But yes I work now an plan on working out there.

Also haven't used my GIBill yet so school is on the table as well.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 33

I've lived in the Denver area for almost 30 years, and I would strongly recommend moving to Utah.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 165

Given all the threads about living in the Front Range, it's hard to imagine what additional info you're going to get, other than snark. If your wife is a school teacher, and you aren't on a particular path yet, you should live wherever she'll enjoy working the most. That means good pay, a well funded education system, educational resources in the area, etc. The front range is suffering from too much love at the moment, so rent is high and entry level homes are absurdly expensive.
She should research places based on her career interests. If it's in the west, you'll find rock.

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

What do you do in the winter?

We're really just looking for a one bedroom apartment. An yes I know it's going to depend on where she can work an what shes interested in. This isnt just about me. Just trying to see what others opinions are and why. In the winter we love to do things outdoors skiing,snowboarding, etc. We're coming out there regardless an will be fine financially so if someone wants to add snark comments it just proves some people can only get joy from attempting to steal others. @jleining why didn't you like Denver if you don't mind me asking.

Nick Votto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Santa Fe and Flagstaff are both nice, also have loads of climbing. Durango is one of the best areas ever. Don't know much about the education job market in any of those though.

C Ross · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 105
Victor K wrote: The front range is suffering from too much love at the moment, so rent is high and entry level homes are absurdly expensive.
You just described almost all of Colorado. The only difference with the front range is you get to share those wonderful things you mentioned with a shit ton of people. If you love climbing but do not love climbing with 50 of your closest friends then I would suggest looking places other then the front range.
EeT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

I grew up in the Chicago land area. I moved around a little lived in Huston TX, lived in Phoenix Az. So I transferred from my job in Phoenix to Thornton Co. I moved befor the dope was legalized for rec use. It got pretty crazy here and the girlfriend and I wanted to try something else out so we moved to Boise Idaho both of us had a really hard time finding work out there. I am an auto body tech and was working night shifts during the hopps harvest that's how hard it was for me. So after a year, almost to the day we packed up and got our old jobs back in Denver. For me both moves to Denver were my best and happiest moves. It's a good size city. There are a lot of people, but there is work!

Best advice yet. We're gonna sit down tonight an go over some places and possibilities.

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

To beat a dead horse - Salt Lake City. If outdoor access + work is your goal.

Vegas baby. VEGAS!

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 266

0) Brush up on your high school math
1) Apply to undergrad Computer Science programs in Seattle/Redmond
2) Use your GI Bill to pay for school
3) Get a cushy 6 figure job out of your undergrad that lets you work from home 2 days a week
4) Now you can climb in the PNW with a 6 figure job

Definitely not a computer guy. Money has never made me happy so regardless of what I end up doing the main thing is staying in touch with the outdoors and working a job I don't hate. My apologies I just noticed there is a ton of threads on this. Climbing has done nothing but positive things for my life, my marriage, and everything really. So I'm gonna check some of these places out and look for short approach an also distance to nearest 14ers. Thanks again guys for the input.

Cheers

C Ross · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 105

Look into the western slope. Climbing within minutes, weather similar to front range, I was climbing on rocks today in Redstone. The skiing is very close. Wind is very rare, I am blown away how winding the front range is every time I am back there. Places like Moab can be done as a day trip.

wendy weiss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 30

Even if you're not looking for a six-figure job, finding a place where you can take advantage of the GI Bill would be a smart move for your future. Good jobs that don't require more than a high school education are getting harder and harder to find.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Pagosa Springs. Your search is over.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

SLC BITCHES

What's your age? Wanna have kids?

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Alaska.
They need teachers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply