Mountain Project Logo

What is the best way to ship gear for sale?

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
ollieon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 40

I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

How are people shipping cam-sized gear cheaply/safely? A lot of people are posting a $5 flat rate for shipping, which service/option is this?

I'm looking to put some cams up for sale soon.

Alex Zucca · · University Heights · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 285

I always ship cams in a flat rate bubble envelope for $7. There really isn't any $5 flat rate anymore.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

If you can get the USPS commercial rate it lowers the price by 20%. The 6.80 flatrate box or envelope becomes $5.44 which is great. The only problem is that at the beginning of 2016 the USPS made it much harder to get this discount. Now if you aren't military you have to go through stamps.com or some other service to get it (unless you ship enough to actually qualify as commercial anyways). 2 years ago if you bought your postage online and printed you own label you got the commercial rate.

Hm, that makes sense. How many cams can you fit in one of the flat rate box/envelopes?

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Someone once sent me a full single rack, #7 Powercam through #0 TCU in a small flat-rate box. If the cams are hand size or below and you cam them you can cram a lot in there. The envelopes are probably better for weirdly shaped or individual larger items.

Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190

If the weight of your items and the packaging weighs 13 ounces or less the parcel can go by First Class mail nearly anywhere in the lower 48, continental US states at the lowest postal rate. Obviously from Maine to California or the reverse will be the most expensive but I have not yet found the First Class rate to be equal to or exceeding the cost of next cheapest alternative which is a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope @ $6.65. The envelopes work best for soft goods because you can fold and stuff to near bursting with any weight for $6.65. As long as you can get the flap to fold over just barely to close and extra secure with tape they will send it. Tip - Push your item/s down into the bottom so much that the envelope becomes flattened with about a 2" width across the bottom crease. Then roll the sealing flap up and over just enough and use tape to seal. You can also bubble wrap cams and pack efficiently to cram as many in as you can. Or use the bubble envelope as suggested above. The postal service doesn't offer First Class shipping to your neighboring states. The package either goes Priority Rate or Retail Ground and the cost is often very close. When boxed items weigh over a pound, the price almost always is $9.00 or more when going beyond neighboring states. You can stuff a lot more into a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope than a PMFR small box.

Examples:

Estes Park, CO to Jacksonville, Alabama 1 lb, 10 oz = $10.55 - Shipped in a generic small box by Priority Mail - No other cheaper option in which item would fit.

Estes Park, CO to Fairhope, Alabama - Item fit into a Priority Mail flat Rate envelope = $6.65.

Redford · · Boston MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 10

Order your flat rate padded envelopes from USPS.com way before you think you will need them. In fact, get them RIGHT NOW. They're free. They're the perfect size and cheapest way to ship a pair of climbing shoes too.

Also Staples now takes USPS and UPS prepaid packages so I almost always drop my packages off after work since I don't have enough time on my lunch. PREPAY your items, Staples charges more than USPS or UPS do online.

Mike V. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 5

I have had good luck shipping cams in a retracted state by using a zip-tie to hold the trigger all the way down. This got a #3 BD into a small flat rate box.

The zip tie tip is genius! Thanks for all the help.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 307

Pack them all up and ship them via USPS as media mail. Cheapest rates.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply