Mountain Project Logo

Phantom spires/sugarloaf conditions

Original Post
Ben Bauer · · Sunnyvale, California · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Having drinking water is great, but I've been going nuts this winter with all the rain and snow. It looks like it's been warm enough recently to climb at sugarloaf and/or phantom spires, but does anyone know if they're covered in snow or not? Is the snow level super low this year?
Thanks!

nkane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 90

Well, highway 50 is closed indefinitely for a series of mudslides. So that's your first obstacle.

I drove 50 the weekend of the 5th and there was a 5 foot snow wall blocking the wright's lake road, which you need to access phantom spires. So that's out without a sled.

Sugarloaf looked OK from the road, but there was significant snow on the approach.

To top it off, the Tahoe area is forecasted for several more feet of snow starting Wednesday night and lasting through Tuesday. So you'll have that to contend with as well.

All in all, I'd say it's not looking great.

MikeI · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

There may be a few wet routes or sections that are wet, but it may be a moot point as the road is closed west of Sugarloaf due to mudslides. Arriving from the east is fine. Better hurry as it's going to get wet again Thursday.

MikeI · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

Update: Hwy 50 closed from Strawberry (Lover's Leap) to Pollack Pines. Sugarloaf is out for awhile. Sorry.

Ben Bauer · · Sunnyvale, California · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Thanks for the heads up!

cdavey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 105

Drove up 50 from sac 5 or 6 days ago on the morning they opened up the hwy and had sugarloaf all to myself. Nothing was really wet at all, approach was amazing. Really nice time there.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,585

Any updates for current Phantom Spires access/conditions? Thanks.

ASid · · SF, CA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 15

See the latest posts from this thread.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,585

Thanks. Must have missed that thread. Appreciate the link.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply