KEEP HIDDEN VALLEY, RYAN, AND JUMBO ROCK FIRST COME CAMPING!!!!!

Original Post
Mitchell Wix · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all,

There has been a lot of serious talk around Joshua Tree lately about making Hidden Valley, Jumbo, and Ryan camp all reservation only. Need I say more!? If this makes the hair on your neck stand up, then please pass the word along. If this becomes a fight, it will be a hard one indeed. We are going to need all the help we can get. I hope this at least gets some intelligent conversation started on the matter.

At the very least let's save Hidden Valley!

UPDATE! (2/28/17)

Joshua Tree's superintendent stated that they will have several plans outlined by the new year addressing the issues of overcrowding, and conflict in the campgrounds. We are told that NO PLAN will take effect without the input from campers and climbers alike. Let's hope that is the case! I'm sure we all look forward to more space and less drama. Let's add a couple more campsites!

Best,

M

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 6

as a weekend warrior, I welcome the change.

If I were a dirtbag, I would be pissed off.

Kevin Ranck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

Perhaps make Jumbo and Ryan reservation and leave HV to the traditional methods...

Mitchell Wix · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

So Mpech, as a weekend worrier you would have to book a site six-eight months in advance. You can forecast your life accordingly? If so, what if it rains you out? You lose $. Just a couple things to think about.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20
Mitchell Wix wrote:So Mpech, as a weekend worrier you would be able to book a site six-eight months in advance? If so, what if it rains you out? Just a couple things to think about.
This is reality already in much of Colorado--full, reservable campsites that are often booked months in advance. To combat this, you must convince people to stay home.
madek · · Ventura, Calif. · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

oh gosh. oh no. where did you hear this?
i'd like that to not happen

Mike0110 · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0
mpech wrote:as a weekend warrior, I welcome the change. If I were a dirtbag, I would be pissed off.
I agree!
Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Mitchell Wix wrote:So Mpech, as a weekend worrier you would have to book a site six-eight months in advance. You can forecast your life accordingly? If so, what if it rains you out? You lose $. Just a couple things to think about.
a few bucks, that by the time the reservation comes around i probably have already forgotten about. Happens with all my other reservations year round to other places that require.

For me, first come camping shuts me out of staying at those campgrounds since they're usually full on the weekends (since I work weekdays). But I agree with the previous comment to make Jumbo and Ryan reservation only during season and leave HV as is.

I usually just camp in the backcountry or BLM since reservation only AND first come campgrounds are full. Just a short drive, nothing too bad, IMHO.

And personally, I dislike the whole permit and reservation nonsense. I like the idea of putting money back to the places we love and enjoy, buuuut sometimes it's a hassle like you said to plan ahead and blah blah blah. But i dont own the land, so i go my ways and find my own way to get around it.
Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 0

I can see it happening, and agree that it would be nice if Hidden Valley remained 1st come, first served.

I am not sure how one goes about voicing concerns and making statements in a way that gets fed into the actual system n but agree that - if the reservation system is really being discussed, it's important to get user opinions "in the system."

On a tangent:
There is a shortage of campsites - that's undeniable.

A thought occurred to me recently, and I would like to see some discussion on this as well. Ya know how the New Jack got a campground setup there. Still free, so far as I know, but.....what do people think about the idea of a similar type thing happening at the Dry Lake Bed(except forget about the kiddie playground)?

I know it is a drive but....for a free dedicated spot to camp, with a c/g host to keep an eye on the place, it's something to think about. I was wondering how it came about, the set up at New Jack, and if people would have any desire to have one at DLB.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Join me in my own little "pet peeve" .... if you go to those FAKE input meetings the Park Service will hold.... most likely at 2:30 pm out at the east entrance station, anex .....on a Wednesday.

Please remind them that "they promised that the ONLY reserved sites will be in Indian Cove..."

and ask, again, why have you guys removed campsites?

and ask, again, why don't you build more campsites??

are the Friends of Josh still around? back in the 90's it did get the LOOP ROAD idea shelved.

Happie....EDIT.... after all the trash was cleaned up at NJC, the little walkways made and the common understanding between climbers to keep vehicles off of the ground by the climbs.... people were just camping at that end of the road. To camp anyplace else around there put you in the "line of fire" from the other folks who went out there to shoot guns and tear up the desert.

The City of Barstow decided it would be a good Tourist Attraction.... that city has almost none. The City paid for the addition and the maintenance.... someday they might wish to start charging.

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 0

wow - surprised that Barstow would put money into free campsite/grounds like that.... It's been a few years now, and I would have expected the fee for use would have come by now.

Joe De Luca · · yucca valley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 86

How about a walk in Site for climbersItalic Text

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 6
Mitchell Wix wrote:So Mpech, as a weekend worrier you would have to book a site six-eight months in advance. You can forecast your life accordingly? If so, what if it rains you out? You lose $. Just a couple things to think about.
I've been going to joshua tree for the last five years. Every year the camping situation has gotten more crowded (at least for a weekend warrior like me). I've even stopped bothering to see if any spots are available at hidden valley. If these trends continue, I'd prefer the campsites to switch to a reservation-based system-- it would avoid the hassle and stress of driving through every single campsite, late at night, hoping to find one spot that is open. The weather in joshua tree is pretty predictable, so I'm not too concerned about having a reservation far in advance.

granted, I'm based out of norcal, so j-tree is not my local crag-- I would feel differently if I were going there every weekend...

best,
matt
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 330

I vote for blocking registrations. Keep the internet and camping separate brajs. Down with the internet. No irony intended ever.

Zachary k · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

I'm local and would not be happy if they make that change. Will have to stop over at the park service center in town and see if I can get any info. They just raised the rates again and now this crap!!!

Johnny Victor · · Joshua Tree · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

We can all send our concerns to David_Smith@nps.gov he is the Superintendent.
Keep it short and sweet, tell him what you want ie: non-reservation campground, a local weekend meeting, more campsites or whatever. But keep it on point so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Danny Sandoval · · LA, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Making the campsites reservation only won't solve the issue. Although as a weekend warrior I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but the issue remains that there is simply too little campsites to accommodate the amount of people that josh sees every year.

I for one will be telling people that africanized bees have moved to josh and is no longer safe...just doing my part to decrease the crowds

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5

By way of comparison, I tried making a Sheeps Pass reservation yesterday, and they fill up a year ahead of time (didn't get one). Though they might not employ that long of a reserve date, you won't get a site unless you're able to plan way car ahead of time. Having said that, it's not like you can find a site anyways (unless you go midweek), so would it really be that different? I agree camp sites are in short supply, but do you really want them to pave the desert and have the place to resemble Yosemite Valley or some KOA campground? Tough issue.

dahigdon · · phoenix, Az · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0
Danny Sandoval wrote:Making the campsites reservation only won't solve the issue. Although as a weekend warrior I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but the issue remains that there is simply too little campsites to accommodate the amount of people that josh sees every year. I for one will be telling people that africanized bees have moved to josh and is no longer safe...just doing my part to decrease the crowds
I'm with you.. more bees!
Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 15

Its farther out of the way but I wouldn't mind the camp site being reservations if they were added to the or farther out past jumbo rocks towards the 29 Palms entrance.

If they want to add a few more campgrounds then I would be okay with them making those a reservation spot. I also am switching towards leaning to BLM land. its not that much of a drive and and its usually warmer than in the park.

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 60

Weekend warrior here and I can go either way. Reservations would make life easier since I usually plan my trips well in advance, and this would eliminate some of the guesswork. If I lived closer or was able to get out there more frequently, I would hate it.

Do locals have more of a right or say in the matter? It's a National Park and the campsites are a very limited resource. I'd probably lean towards "no." Maybe the best solution is to open up more sites to reservations, while keeping some walk-ins. If they made half of Jumbo's sites reservable, I would be all for that.

FWIW, I usually arrive on a Friday morning (early, like 6-7 am) and I almost always find a site at Jumbo, and sometimes even HV. If you're willing to drive the loops for a bit and ask people if they are leaving, you can usually find something. It's a bit of a hassle, but it beats camping outside the park in the dust.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply