Be my Guide in Yosemite


Original Post
Zach Christensen · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 115

I'm gonna be in Yosemite area for the first week of April and looking to climb a few of those days. Was hoping someone could climb with me for a day and I can give some $$$. I've been climbing for 1 year, mostly in a gym. I have never set Trad gear but I've cleaned some gear and watched others climb trad. I've also never done multipitch stuff but I'm down to try it all! I know there is a little sport there too. I onsite lead 5.10d in the gym so im thinking i could reasonably lead 5.7 in YNP....i think lol
I'm a musician from Baltimore and I'm easygoing, just trying to get a few more ticks
If interested please respond or email at ztchristensen@gmail.com

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500

Guiding legally in a National Park requires a permit- if you're interested in hiring a guide, I would recommend YMS

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

Zach,

Guiding in a National Park is illegal if someone doesn't have the permits from the Park Service. When you offer money for climbing, that constitutes paying someone for "guiding." Consider offering meals, or expenses or something other than money for climbing.

Or, hire a real guide from Yosemite Mountaineering School:

http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/yosemite-mountaineering-school-guide-service/

Edit: Looks like John beat me to it!

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85

Coming from that back-ground, Safe Harbor ?,
The Valley is going to blow your mind.
Head to a climb called NUT CRACKER,
Have your harness on.
Shoes and belay gear, water - a layer or 2, and a nut poke.
Play it as it unfolds. If you have a rope, bring it and ask to climb along.

Erik Kloeker · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

If you are looking for a professional guide, I highly recommend Mark Grundon.

Mike Byrnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

While all you lameos worried about laws are busy in the comments I'm sure his Pms are full of people willing to run him up snake dike for $20

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28

Put a note on the Camp 4 bulletin board the day before, and maybe use the partner finder on this website. You'll quite likely find a partner with no need to pay any money. Like everyone says, guiding without a permit is illegal, and I'd be a little suspicious of anyone who goes that route.
Have fun in Yosemite!

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 21,755
Michael Schneider wrote:Coming from that back-ground, Safe Harbor ?, The Valley is going to blow your mind. Head to a climb called NUT CRACKER, Have your harness on. Shoes and belay gear, water - a layer or 2, and a nut poke. Play it as it unfolds. If you have a rope, bring it and ask to climb along.
Nut Cracker would be a terrible first trad lead. it is insecure and has a potential bad fall at the crux. There are other routes at the same grade which are far safer and might be a lot more fun to start off on.
And Zach,
consider getting a real guide. Don't waste your vacation with a low$ situation that might not be quite what you are looking for. Go a head and pony up with someone who is above board. or just find yourself a partner on the partner board there.
Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85
Tony B wrote: Nut Cracker would be a terrible first trad lead. it is insecure and has a potential bad fall at the crux. There are other routes at the same grade which are far safer and might be a lot more fun to start off on. And Zach, consider getting a real guide. Don't waste your vacation with a low$ situation that might not be quite what you are looking for. Go a head and pony up with someone who is above board. or just find yourself a partner on the partner board there.
I did not suggest leading anything!
He is coming from an almost exclusively indoor Gym climbing background.
HAS ONLY TOP ROPE'D! ( read his post!)

Says he has watched and played with some gear.
The outdoor place he mentions Safe Harbor,
Oh boy, wait till he tries his hand at polished granite cracks.
Safe Harbor, PA
Zach Christensen · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 115

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info, you guys are awesome, I will be leading outside locally before the trip (and hopefully learning a bit more about trad). I'll try the partner finder here and I'll post at the park when i get there, and also it turns out I have some friends of friends out there as well. (I definitely would do snake dike lol)
gotta start somewhere, right?!

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28

In a heavy snow year like this one, getting to the start of Snake Dike in April could be difficult.

Tony B is right, the crux move on Nutcracker is a good place to get hurt. Plenty of better climbs in the Valley, IMO.

simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0
Michael Schneider wrote:HAS ONLY TOP ROPE'D! ( read his post!)
Actually, HAS LEAD 10'D! (read his post!)
Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85
simplyput wrote: Actually, HAS LEAD 10'D! (read his post!)
ROTFLMAO
INDOOR East Coast gym?!
I've climbed at Safe Harbor it is not as good as it looks.
The idea I recommended was to find a group that was low key maybe a couple willing or glad to have another climber join them.

That was it !
NOT to go after the most polished route and try to lead it.
I never recommended That he lead anything!
phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 115

Zach, the Valley in April is GORGEOUS. You are going to love it and have a great time.

YMS is charging $193 for a standard 6 hr day if you share that with one other person. Add a tip and it does add up to $$$ but everything I have ever read from people who have hired a professional guide have raved about what a good experience it was.

I've never had to hire a guide when I first started climbing because I got into climbing through my new boyfriend (now husband of 37 years), who was guiding at the time. Maybe wander around camp 4 with the tinder app open and see what comes up? :-)

Zach Christensen · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 115
phylp wrote: Maybe wander around camp 4 with the tinder app open and see what comes up? :-)
This is an AMAZING idea lol!!
I'm super excited just to see the place and be in that much wilderness!!! I've been in the city tooo long
John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 150

+1 for finding a partner at Camp 4. Many people journey to the Valley alone, and climbers with partners also may look for a partner for easier or harder objectives, or when their partner is taking a rest day. I've found excellent partners doing it this way over the years.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 21,755
John Ryan wrote:+1 for finding a partner at Camp 4. Many people journey to the Valley alone, and climbers with partners also may look for a partner for easier or harder objectives, or when their partner is taking a rest day. I've found excellent partners doing it this way over the years.
You also might be surprised at what you catch that way.
I took a random kid who'd never multi-pitched up a grade IV FFA.
I took what I could get on short notice and the kid had the rack and rope and I'd just been dropped off.

You might end up with your name in a guidebook!
(odds are, no... but I'm sure it;'s not what Maxime thought was going to happen)

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/too-many-darts-free-ascent/112340396
Buddin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Mike Byrnes wrote:While all you lameos worried about laws are busy in the comments I'm sure his Pms are full of people willing to run him up snake dike for $20
Bahahaha, you couldn't pay me enough to take someone on snake dike.
Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 505

Can Hans guide me up NIAD? It'd be nice to top out before noon.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply