Mountain Project Logo

Best mountaineering boots for 6000m peaks

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Chris Ccc wrote:^ yes I do 42.5 in the G2SM, Batura 2.0, Nepal Cube GTX, Trango Cube GTX, and Spantik ....I've got a boot problem
Sounds like you don't have any boot problems to me!
Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396
Nick Sweeney wrote: Sounds like you don't have any boot problems to me!
lol
Jonathan Haws · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Just to close this out - I ended up going with the Mammut Nordwand 2.1.  Fit my foot a lot better than the La Sportiva or Scarpas.  Tried them out in the mountains above Salt Lake City and stayed plenty warm and dry.  The Boa lacing system on them is fantastic as well - even with gloves.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

Mammut Nordwand 2.1 is a solid choice. I've seen it up in the 5-6000m range working well. 

Tomko · · SANTA CLARA CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

I did Island Peak in some ill-fitted rented La Sportiva Karakorums a few years back.  Even in those I never found my feet to be cold; I also did Gokyo Ri, Cho La Pass, and Kala Patthar in my normal hiking boots no problem.  I would think the G2SMs are going to be overkill for 6000ish meter climbing in Nepal.

If I go back I'm going to take my own La Sportiva Baturas for any similar types of climbs.  Mostly to ensure I have a good fit I can rely on unlike last time...

John Gibbs · · Athens, GA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Hey, Jonathan, I'm doing the same climb as you in May this year. I see you used Mammuts (I'm not familiar with their boots at all). I have a pair of Nepal EVOs, but a, I'm afraid they'll be too cold, and b, the front of them is just too narrow: my foot starts to hurt after only 1/2 hour in them. I did Rainier with them a couple years ago, and my feet were KILLING me before I got down (not frostbite, just too darn narrow). I'd be interested from others who have a wider front foot what boot will keep your feet warm and comfy on a 6000m peak.

Thanks!

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 276

Your questions are answered in this thread and the informations and models are still relevant.

TLDR
Scarpa,  Lowa,  some Sportiva models.
Go try then on.  

John Gibbs · · Athens, GA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

My apologies: I saw the answer on page 2 of the thread after I'd posted. Very useful info--thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best mountaineering boots for 6000m peaks"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.