Mountain Project Logo

Valdez Ice Fest

Original Post
Amanda Stern · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

Hey! I'm flying in to Anchorage on Saturday morning and am looking to share a ride to Valdez with someone! Anyone interested?!

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 90

You may want to post on the ice fest Facebook page. You could also try the Alaska ice climbing FB page. Seems like most people are headed out of town Friday, but still worth posting at those two places.

Have fun. It's a blast!!

Awesome, thanks, I'll definitely check those out! I'm stoked, I've never been to Alaska and am beyond excited to climb out there!

Chris Walden · · Soldotna, Alaska · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 640
Amanda Stern wrote:Awesome, thanks, I'll definitely check those out! I'm stoked, I've never been to Alaska and am beyond excited to climb out there!
I saw a few people talking about rides on the MCA page (this is where I would check first) First time to AK? You are going to love it!

MCA (Mountaineering Club of Alaska)
facebook.com/groups/1134700…

Ice Fest Page
facebook.com/groups/1134700…

Are you just going to the fest or looking to climb afterwards?

Climbing for a few days after with a friend! Open to all route suggestions/beta. Looking to get on some fat WI2/WI3 climbs :)

http://www.alaskaiceclimbing.com/valdez.htm

That grade might be a little limiting in Valdez, but I'd suggest Ski Race in Hole in the wall, Horsetail and POS in Keystone, and another fun one to break up the drive back is Kid's Corner in Caribou Creek

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

CANCELLED: From their Facebook page: facebook.com/valdezicefest/
Levitation 49 regrets to announce that unseasonable weather has caused conditions at our venue to deteriorate and we are canceling all ice climbing clinics, comps and climbing. In particular, days of heavy rains and higher than normal temps have caused the Lowe River to begin to melt, precluding safe access to some of the signature features we intended to use in Keystone Canyon. Refunds will be issued for event and clinic registration/donations. Tickets will still be available at the door for anyone who wants to join us for Mountainfilm Friday night and the dance party with Unfaithful Lovers Saturday night. At this moment, we are still planning to have the bonfire Sunday night, however, that decision is subject to change. We still have guest climbers Chad Jukes, Rebecca Lewis and Nathan Kutcher in town. Black Diamond Presentation at Valdez Prospector and Petzl will still be here showcasing their shiny new gear and the adventure photography clinic with Ace Kvale is still being offered. We did not make this decision lightly. We ask for your patience as we work through the many details and logistics this entails. We will provide updates on this Facebook site and the Valdez Ice Fest website as more details become available.

I know, it's a bummer for sure. I'm still going to meet up and climb with friends.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply