barrabes review

Original Post
neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20

I am in the US. Anyone ever bought from this European vendor? barrabes.world/ They have some boots for good prices even with shipping and VAT to the US, etc. It's still a good price. I have bought some gear from a UK vendor in the past for good prices and had a good experience.

This seems to be a reputable vendor but wanted some thoughts. Any experience? Why is the gear so cheap...i.e. La Sportiva, Scarpa, Arcteryx boots? Is it due to the manufacturer location, trade regulations etc? I am just always skeptical when something seems "too good"

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
neils wrote:I am in the US. Anyone ever bought from this European vendor? barrabes.world/ They have some boots for good prices even with shipping and VAT to the US, etc. It's still a good price. I have bought some gear from a UK vendor in the past for good prices and had a good experience. This seems to be a reputable vendor but wanted some thoughts. Any experience? Why is the gear so cheap...i.e. La Sportiva, Scarpa, Arcteryx boots? Is it due to the manufacturer location, trade regulations etc? I am just always skeptical when something seems "too good"
Can´t say I´ve ever bought anything from them but reputable they sure are, probably Europe´s biggest online equipment supplier. Not exactly a local store, they employ a couple of hundred people and turn over around $50m.
Only caution about shipping to the US, the estimated delivery times DON´t include getting through US customs which is normally around 2 weeks more.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

I bought a bunch from them years ago when the dollar was strong against the Euro. Shipping is a lot so you don't want to shop there for a few biners. I bought 3 ropes and a pair of shoes, basically got one of the ropes for free with the money I saved. That was a long tome ago; I have no idea about exchange rates and other fees currently. Do your homework and buy with confidence.

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

Bought AT boots from them 15 years ago or so... so they've been around. I was very pleased back then; I still remember I received the boots in less than 5 days, and shipping costs were very reasonable.

thanks for the replies

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

Just clicking around their site... $95 for a 60m rope, $66 to ship it. No thanks.

Gunkiemike wrote:Just clicking around their site... $95 for a 60m rope, $66 to ship it. No thanks.
yeah i as looking at double boots like phantom 6000, or g2sm. but if the fit isn't exactly right or a return needs to be made I know it will be a PIA - also, on further investigation I don't think they have my size in stock anyway ;)

but good to know they are out there and legit
Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 178

I just bought a pair of AT ski boots from them. Arrived today, less than a week after I ordered them. Shipping was $50, which worked out to less than what I would have paid in sales tax on the boots at full price, so all told I ended up saving ~$300.

David Burton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Great service and lowest price on a set of Salomon skis - shipped to UK - all perfect

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Nice store, friendly staff, parking in that area of Barcelona is a PITA. They have the Lleida climbs guidebook.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply