Benefits of guidebooks.

Original Post
Bryce Bishop · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 3

I'm pretty new to outdoor rock climbing and have located most of the few routes I've climbed via the MP app. My question is: are physical guidebooks a worthwile investment and if so where do I get them?

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

They are very useful and are generally put together by people with a great knowledge of the area. Phones die and break. While it isn't hard to find routes thanks to the Internet the more time you spend climbing finding trails and routes the more you will find the need and appreciation for a well written guidebook

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

MP is not an adequate substitute for guidebooks, as much as some people would like it to be. Get the guidebooks, especially if there's a chance you'll go someone multiple times.

You can order them online or buy them in person at climbing stores, REI, etc.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Around here, and I expect elsewhere, the guidebook authors were/are also route developers for those areas, so if you buy their book(s) you are helping to pay them back at least a dinky bit for a lot of hard work.

After you get your book(s), take them to a local copy store and have them spiral bound, if they aren't already. They'll lay flat that way, survive pack abuse longer, and you won't be chasing pages around the crag when they blow away.

Best, H.

G Egbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Many guidebooks include routes/problems that are not on MP and vice versa. I would consider them complementary.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Guidebooks sell regardless how shitty they are. This is a benefit to the publisher. Other benefits I'm generally unaware of.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply