Online retailers for climbing clothing question and opinions

Original Post
CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Looking to pick up some climbing pants online. Sadly all I have near me is rei and the nearest one is almost an hour away. Now my problem is almost every street pant I wear is different waist size this is mainly due to bigger thighs( I'm not a body builder lol nor am I overweight) so I always have to try on a few sizes to get the right fit... now for my question which pants have you had that held up?! I don't climb insanely hard or insanely often. My favorite style of climbing is smaller offwidths and chimney climbs(we don't have a lot of em but when I come across I'm trying to climb it) so I would like something that can take a little abuse.. my next question is where have you ordered from? How was the return process? How soon did they get a different size to you? Would it be better I order two maybe 3 pairs (it just sucks tying up the money for shipping to me and shipping back and them processing a refund) all n all I know there is no easy way to do this, I just want to know if there is a place I should stay away from because of headaches that you encountered because I know for a fact there is a 1n1000 chance of me ordering the right item the first time. Also any pants I should stay away from?? I don't really climb when it gets too cold so mild weather to nice weather wear would be preferred.. sorry for the dragged out post and thanks for the input

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Just curious, why new stuff just to drag through chimneys? Wouldn't blue jeans from the thrift store do?

Disclaimer: probably 98% of my clothes are from thrift stores.

In terms of ordering clothes, good luck. My experience over the decades is that sizing isn't consistent even in the same stack of the same thing, let alone a year or two later when you try to get that perfect whatever again.

Best, Helen

CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I'm totally okay with cheap jeans lol my favorite climbing pants at the moment are regular fit stretch wranglers easy to find(most walmarts) and super cheap... they are very thin and I don't mind climbing in my pants after they rip it's just I'm looking for pants that will hold up a little longer n plus Devils lake wi is my nearest climbing place and we don't have to many chimneys or offwidths I'd just like a pair of pants that would handle it when I do climb them... plus I don't need top of the line n top dollar stuff... it's just I already have a hard enough time getting my feet that high or far as I'm not the most flexible and limber cat and if the pant doesn't stretch I fight it that much more :(

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Well, go a little baggier. That way, you can grab hold of a hunk of material and yank the stupid leg up a little higher. (Yes, she has done this)

What about something like scrubs/nurse pants? Butt ugly, but I've yet to see any with holes or tears, and there's always an overabundance on the racks. Plus, they come in really cheesy colors to match the tops with pastel teddy bears on them.

Seriously, look through all the racks. Okay, skip maternity, unless beer's gotten the best of you. Find a kind of pant you like, find the material and weight that works, and save a bunch of bucks.

Best, Helen

Dylan Pike · · SLC, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Carhartt dungarees. You can find them at your nearest tractor supply.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply