Ice Climbing Options for Saturday the 18th.

Original Post
George Haskett · · Pocatello, Idaho · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

Any chance anyone knows of a WI2-3+ climb that might still be climbable on the 18th of FEB? Looking to take one of my kids out, an hour approach would be fine.

Mike-Mayhem · · Bozeman. MT · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 60

Most climbs in hyalite are looking good

Thanks, just ordered the guide book. Any suggestions on areas or routes?

There are quite a few route within your grade range your looking for in the genesis and mummy areas. Lower greensleeves, hangover, G2 makes for a great day!

Thanks,

From what I can gather online, those seem to be good options, however having not been there it is helpful to hear suggestions from people who have. I'm looking at taking my daughter out and give her the opportunity to bump things up a notch, she seems to really like it.

The unnamed wall could also be a good option then.. check out the fat one and elevator shaft!

Chiatt Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

I'm not sure of your ideal set up, but a lot of the climbs in Hyalite are not too top rope friendly. I thought I would mention that since you're bringing your kid. G1 is a great top rope area as well as the amphitheater climbs (fat chance and thin chance). You can top rope Elevator Shaft from the bolts with a 70 meter rope (there's a small tree on the right for a 60) and the Fat One is a good top rope climb as well (use the tree on the left if you have a 60). You can top rope Hangover, but you can't really get the whole climb...it's best to belay up. Joe's book is pretty good. Give a shout if you have a question on any specific routes.

-Chad

Thanks for all the advice. I am curious how the past few days have been with the warm weather. We opted not to go due to the forecasted high temps and rain. Did any of that occur higher up the canyon where the ice is?

What is the current road conditions up there? Can you drive all the way in to the trail heads?

The weather hasn't effected the ice too much.. some climbs that are in the sun are not doing well, but there is still plenty to climb. It hasn't rained much in hyalite either... the road is better than it's been all winter, but you can drive to the main fork parking lot all winter long as it is plowed

So Genesis area and the Unnamed Wall are still worth the drive to get there?
How crowded are they this time of the year?

Michael OC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 75

Stuff is still looking good George. All the climbs previously mentioned in this post are in fine shape. Weekdays are generally not very busy, weekends can get a little crowded.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply