Mountain Project Logo

Ouray Ice Park is closed as of Feb 10, 2017

Original Post
Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

Someone already posted in the CO Ice conditions page, but I figured it would be worth making the news more visible.

Here's the official statement:
OURAY ICE PARK NEWSLETTER

Greetings Ouray Ice Park Climbers and Supporters,

Unfortunately, mother nature has forced us to “tap out” for the season, much earlier than we hoped for or expected. We have had a season full of ups and downs, highs and lows, challenges overcome, and successes celebrated, but this most recent warm-up and the extended forecast has proven too difficult to conquer. We have been assessing the conditions and safety on a daily basis, trying to maintain the ice that we do have and mitigating potential dangers. As of today, we feel like we have reached a point where our assessment and mitigation are not enough to ensure the safety of all of our visitors, so it is now time for us to close. One of our main goals has always been to keep ice in the Park open for as long as possible, but only if it is safe.

We are not sure whether this closure is permanent or temporary. If cold temperatures return and we have the opportunity to get the water running again and build the ice back up to make it safe and climbable again, then please be assured that is the first thing we will do, we will try to reopen, but it is not guaranteed.

We apologize for the late notice for travelers who have made plans to come out this weekend, have already arrived, or their travels are already underway. In these conditions, the ice has changed drastically on a daily basis and there was no way to predict ahead of time that we would need to close the Park starting tomorrow.

While we still hold a glimmer of hope for this season at the Park, that is fading fast. As we look onto next ice season we are all well aware at the Ouray Ice Park and the City of Ouray that you have options on where you climb and that there are many factors to consider when making that choice. The Ouray Ice Park offers a climbing experience unlike anywhere else, we strive to maintain and support this world class ice climbing venue. On good years, it is the best you can find anywhere, and even when the conditions are not the best, it is still an experience of a lifetime for all. Our committed Staff and Board of Directors, working with the City of Ouray are more than willing and feel obligated to improving and maintaining the image and quality of the Ouray Ice Park for years to come.

Thank you for your support.

John Gassel · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,388

This seems so early this year. Crazy.

I have a trip planned there for next weekend. Hows the rest of the ice in the area holding up?

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

John I don't know about Ouray but it was 80 degrees im Colorado Springs today lol. Its 5 and half hours east and a thousand feet lower in elevation but its probs lookin grim. However this means you will def be able to get on some rock!

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,963

Too sad. Global warming??

Erik Eriksson · · Colville, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 126

20 good ice making days with no available water to make ice left the park anemic and not formed properly.all it took was a week to kill it.
I was in there yesterday with big stuff falling,and water pouring off everywhere from the melting ice.
horsetail is done as well with two big cracks across the main ice.
prolly better to head north to cody or the rockies if ya wanna climb

John Gassel · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,388
Erik Eriksson wrote:prolly better to head north to cody or the rockies if ya wanna climb
Yeah, we're leaning towards Cody at the moment. Just saw some pics from their ice fest this past weekend and I have to say it looks like things are a bit baked out and not that great there either. A warm week to come too.

Anyone have some recent Cody beta/conditions?

Thanks!
Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

I was in the Canadian Rockies a week ago - awesome ice - just some avy hazard on some of the longer climbs.
Cheap flights to Calgary from the West coast.

shredward · · SLC · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

Can anyone recommend good ice climbing within a 6 hour drive of SLC?

John Peterson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 4,658

Lake City was still open last weekend but it was like climbing a giant snowcone. Didn't look like it will last much longer.

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

Ice is mostly fat in the Northern San Juans. Ames Ice Hose is filled in top to bottom.

Bogdan Petre · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,098

Anyone from the front range area interested in going to Bozeman for 3 days (Fri-Sun)?

Was planning to go to Ouray for 3 days this weekend too. Partners are still set on going, but it doesn't seem worth the time/effort to me. Looking for a change of plans, and a safe partner(s) who are happy climbing WI4 and can take Friday off.

PM or text me if interested (952 992 9876).

Jonathan Awerbuch · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 41
Benjamin Chapman wrote:Too sad. Global warming??
Do they need more money? Or was it a combination of bad weather and water politics?
Scott M. McNamara · · Presidio San Augustine Del… · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

It's the west:

"Whiskey's for drinking; water's for fighting."

(Not sure who is the original author of this quote.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ouray Ice Park is closed as of Feb 10, 2017"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started