Summit selfies??


Original Post
TradPrincess Eden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Hey ya'll I just got one question really... what is the deal with posting summit selfie or mid route selfie on mountain project? Now I'm not calling out the useful or just darn right awesome ones. I'm referring to the ones that are just down right awkward and unnecessary that don't tell you a darn thing about the route! My phone only has so much darn memory and I don't want your useless selfies ...

Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 8,438

Beta pictures are the first to be uploaded, then it's based on ratings and there's a limit per route, you wouldn't get all the pics of people on CCK, thank god!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Selfies should just be auto-deleted.

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Isn't that what climbing is about? Summit selfie or it didn't happen.

Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I'm curious as to what route you are having such a terrible time finding beta on. Some people like to share their adventures with others. Is this really something worth bickering about?

Abdullah Mourad · · Elk Grove, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

With crowd-sourced data you take the good with the bad with the useless. Seems like a small price to pay for the benefit you get.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
DanielHart wrote:Isn't that what climbing is about?
Climbing, to me, is about enjoying the experience, the challenge and comaraderie. Not self-promotion. Selfies are just a part of the "look at me" generation.
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120
FrankPS wrote: Climbing, to me, is about enjoying the experience, the challenge and comraderie. Not self-promotion. Selfies are just a part of the "look at me" generation.
Yup. Shameless self promotion.

Also known as sharing with strangers whom I consider friends. That camaraderie thing.

Can't help it that some dogs are old and ugly, others are cute young hotties. Don't have the lifespan left to get any bit anything like buff, just hoping to keep the bits all hangin in as long as possible!

Ah well.

Best, OLH
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Old lady H wrote:Also known as sharing with strangers whom I consider friends.
Strangers are friends?

https://youtu.be/37OWL7AzvHo
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 615
atmourad wrote:With crowd-sourced data you take the good with the bad with the useless. Seems like a small price to pay for the benefit you get.
End of thread.
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,038
TradPrincess wrote:Hey ya'll I just got one question really... what is the deal with posting summit selfie or mid route selfie on mountain project? Now I'm not calling out the useful or just darn right awesome ones. I'm referring to the ones that are just down right awkward and unnecessary that don't tell you a darn thing about the route! My phone only has so much darn memory and I don't want your useless selfies ...
I find your avatar to be useless but I am cool with it being there.
Maybe buy a better phone.
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

...but u love the "mid route" avatar? ;)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote: Yup. Shameless self promotion. Also known as sharing with strangers whom I consider friends. That camaraderie thing.
But the selfie is such a retrograde debasement of a picture of someone. Add in that so many selfie-ites can't manage to not make a duck face just adds insult.

Old lady H wrote:Don't have the lifespan left to get any bit anything like buff,...
Um, nonsense. It just takes work....alas, yes, more work than when we were 35, but still. Recall that Christy Brinkley is 3 years older than you!
(For the record, I'll be 63 later this year.)
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120
FrankPS wrote: Strangers are friends? youtu.be/37OWL7AzvHo
Eeyup. Stranger the better.

@the venerable marc801: guy wrinkles=handsome, rugged outdoorsy type, old lady wrinkles=aldabran tortoise

Christie Brinkley? Phhttt. I'll see your supermodel and raise ya Tina Turner waayyy back when she turned 70!

"On the cover of the Rollin' Stone"...
Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20

For the record, I invented the selfie. That's why they call it the selfie. And every time you take your own pic, I get a nickel. Sweet gig.

TradPrincess Eden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0
jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0
TradPrincess wrote:
Sick send. 5 stars.
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:@the venerable marc801: guy wrinkles=handsome, rugged outdoorsy type, old lady wrinkles=aldabran tortoise
Venerable? OK, that's a first!
DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

I find the whole mid route thing confusing. Most pictures I have of surfing, climbing and snowboarding are pre or post session. Outside of being stuck on a long belay on a multi pitch route I can't imagine robbing myself of the fun I'm having to stop and document my face on a wall.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

I'm guessing the difference between the "darn right awesome" photos and those that are "downright awkward and unnecessary" is in the eye of the beholder.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120
Marc801 wrote: Venerable? OK, that's a first!
Uh, "vintage"? "Well used" "high mileage"? Old enough to predate all technology more advanced than the wheel?

Nice photo, by the way. See, this is what those strangers, uh, I mean climbing partners, are good for. Much better photos than selfies. Isn't that a trait we look for in our belayers?

OLH, who was alive when skateboards required a skate, uh, and a hunk of board. And when helmets were only worn by motorcyclists as a way to have a faceplate to lessen the impact of bumblebees when you were 110 mph. When no one knew kale existed, and no cars had seat belts.

When kids ran in packs, went everywhere and anywhere by themselves, by their own means, and spent almost every second of that precious summer break inventing fun, moderate to high risk things to do. Parents were there for food and band-aids. Lots of band-aids. Lots of food, too, for that matter.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply