Mountain Project Logo

antifog glasses -treatments


Original Post
Tugrul Pacaci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30

Hello, I have a Julbo pipeline octopus glass where I use it for alpine pursuits. not very serious stuff but involves walking or climbing in snow and ice. I wont do any high altitude climbing. mostly in 2000-4000m classic summiting and ice climbing. my question is, octopus are not anti-fog ( I learned it later and it fogs up quickly with my neck gaiter which does not have breathing holes ) . so my three questions.
-any antifog applications I can use reliably? (creams, sprays) that makes octopus glasses anti fog? I tried a few antifog cleaners which did not work.
- a neck gaiter with breathing holes lets fogging issues better?
- a new julbo explorer with cameleon glasses which has antifog from the factory? (EDIT: can buy it locally for around 65usd). and sell the pipeline octopus?

Thanks A lot.

Greg Maschi · · Phoenix ,Az · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0

Tried the treatments too no good for me, only effective way for me is to have mouth compltely unobstructed, exhale through my mouth to direct breath straight out with a bit of force, no exhalations for me through my nose at all.

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60
Cat Crap works pretty well...usually get 2ish hours before needing to reapply
Tugrul Pacaci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30
Greg Maschi wrote:Tried the treatments too no good for me, only effective way for me is to have mouth compltely unobstructed, exhale through my mouth to direct breath straight out with a bit of force, no exhalations for me through my nose at all.
Yeah, I tried that but sometimes forget where to breath in-out :) then fog on my glasses.... maybe a neck gaiter with holes....
Tugrul Pacaci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30
t.farrell wrote: Cat Crap works pretty well...usually get 2ish hours before needing to reapply
I will check that one out. Thanks
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
t.farrell wrote: Cat Crap works pretty well...usually get 2ish hours before needing to reapply
+10
I used to use it regularly when I needed glasses to ski. For me, an application would typically last all ski day unless temps were below 10F.
Greg Maschi · · Phoenix ,Az · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0
t.farrell wrote: Cat Crap works pretty well...usually get 2ish hours before needing to reapply
Haven't had good results with the cat crap myself, and have also never been able to keep my lenses clear with anything over my mouth vent holes or not.
Tugrul Pacaci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30
Greg Maschi wrote: Haven't had good results with the cat crap myself, and have also never been able to keep my lenses clear with anything over my mouth vent holes or not.
Do you use a factory anti fog treated glasses? Like a zebra, camel or spectron glasses of julbo? I wonder whether they work or not ? ( the antifog features...)
Tugrul Pacaci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30
Marc801 wrote: +10 I used to use it regularly when I needed glasses to ski. For me, an application would typically last all ski day unless temps were below 10F.
Thanks
Greg Maschi · · Phoenix ,Az · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0
Tugrul Pacaci wrote: Do you use a factory anti fog treated glasses? Like a zebra, camel or spectron glasses of julbo? I wonder whether they work or not ? ( the antifog features...)
Have not tried the treated lenses, the mouth breathing solution has become habit for me.My guess is the treated lenses would be the best solution.Racing drivers have this same problem with their visors in damp conditions, the best solution I have seen in this venue is a product"fog city", that is a seperate clear piece that you stick to the inside of the visor.
Tugrul Pacaci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30
Greg Maschi wrote: Have not tried the treated lenses, the mouth breathing solution has become habit for me.My guess is the treated lenses would be the best solution.Racing drivers have this same problem with their visors in damp conditions, the best solution I have seen in this venue is a product"fog city", that is a seperate clear piece that you stick to the inside of the visor.
thanks
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply