Training during pregnancy

Original Post
AmandaM · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10

I'm newly pregnant with #2 and already starting to think about a training program for this pregnancy. For multiple reasons, I stopped climbing at around 10 weeks with my first, and it took a while to get back to my baseline climbing fitness afterwards. I'd like to hopefully make the process a little bit easier this time.

Do any moms (or anyone else, for that matter) have recommendations for training for climbing during pregnancy? I live in Jackson, WY where we don't have a climbing gym, and it will be winter for the next 4 months. We DO have a facility with a small bouldering wall, treadwall and campus board, and I have a hang board at home. During the dry months, we have an outdoor boulder park.

I'm obviously going to try to climb outside as much as I can, but with limited cragging options and a toddler at home, I can't rely on climbing outside to maintain strength and fitness. My plan right now is to train on the campus board and bouldering wall until it becomes too hard or dangerous, and then switch to ARC and endurance on the treadwall, supplemented by hangs as much climbing outside as life permits. I'd also like to incorporate core exercises and climbing-specific lifts. However, I'm not sure what exercises/lifts to focus on. Any advice??? I'd love to hear the experiences of other women who have actually done this before!

Also, do anyone have a pregnancy harness they want to sell?

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 378

We have a Madrock/Mountain Mama harness for $60

AmandaM · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 10

I will PM you.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply