A/T Tech boot that are good for ice climbing

Original Post
Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 8,953

I've got a large volume foot, so the choices aren't great
Present contenders:
Dynafit TLT6
Atomic Backland
Scarpa Maestrale RS

the TLT7 fit even better (higher volume) but they have no welt for crampons...

I climb with the Grivel G20 & G22 crampons

Any other options out there that fits the bill?

Thanks

Mike Soucy · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 83

I'd focus on the TLT or Backland. The Maestrale is a bit too bulky and stiff in the ankle to climb well, IME.
I've been climbing ice up to WI4 in the Scarpa F1 Evo this season and it's done quite well. Not sure if this will work for your high volume foot, but worth a try. The Boa closure really locks down the forefoot and the ankle is super flexible.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 483

I have climbed WI4 in Dynafit DyNA Evos. Superlight, and they climb remarkably well. In fact, because they are so warm yet light, I would take them instead of something like a Phantom Tech on a day too cold for Rebels.

I'd say take the Maestrale off your list and have a look at the Fischer Travers Carbon (high volume and my pick if I was shopping for a new boot). The Arc' Procline apparently runs super narrow. Deals to be had by buying from Europe.

Word is the Backland and the forthcoming Salomon X-Alp (based on the Procline but lighter) both have very easily moldable shells

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 234

Arcteryx Proclines should be on your list if you're looking for an AT boot that climbs well. The big selling point is the side-to-side ankle flex (although I don't think there's as much side-to-side flex as Arcteryx claims). Fore-and-aft flex is excellent, more like a skimo race boot than a regular AT boot.

The downside is that if you've got wide feet you'll likely need to have the shells punched out. Also the version with a nylon cuff is apparently very soft in ski mode. I've got the carbon cuff, which isn't as soft, but definitely softer than my old TLT6s.

You can get crampon adapters for the TLT7. See skimo.co/dynafit-tlt7-cramp.... Don't know if they work for all makes of crampons.

The Arc'teryx shell is way too narrow, once I get my foot in, I can't even close the zipper.
I'm a bit weary of adding another element to my crampons, I prefer just staying with the standard Grivel front wire.

Thanks for the info!

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 183

Note that AFAIK the different colorways of TLT6 (Green vs Blue/Yellow) are made of different plastics in the shell. I believe that the Green is PX and the Blue is Grilamid, so the Green would probably take a punch better. Might want to do some online sleuthing to verify that, or check with your local bootfitter.

Aaron Nash · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 216

TLT6s climb and ski well; I've been using mine for about 3.5 seasons with no major complaints. They punch well in certain areas if you need some extra room, and fit my high arch foot pretty well.

I use the G20 and it fits the TLT6 better than my phantoms.

MacP · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 40

I have really wide feet and the Scott Cosmos boots are really comfortable. I've never ice climbed and apparently some people have had issues with the buckles, but ~30 days of BC skiing in and I love the things. Just another option to look at...

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,275

Haven't used them yet, but I'm ready for the ski in, ice climb link up!

--- Invalid image id: 112487130 ---

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Sportiva Syborgs?

I have Backland Carbon Lights, but have never climbed in them. Would imagine they'd perform much better than a bulkier boot like the TLT6 but don't know how big of a boot you need. Only annoying thing is that the Ski Mode locking bar gets in the way of my crampon heel thing (grivels).

Backland Carbon Light w/G14

Heel connection on Backlands

Syborgs w/G14s

Ok, based on what was available in my size I ended up with the TLT6, an hour and a half later of fitting and they feel great.
I'd read a few issues with the Backland and thought best to place my hard earned dough on something with as little issues as possible.

Will see how they ride this Sunday.

Jeremy Bauman · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 720

I've been climbing a bunch on the older Scarpa Mastrale w/ G14s and have actually really enjoyed it. Haven't had any issues and will continue using this setup for all the ski in linkups.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply