Dry rock in WY right now?

Original Post
Andrew Gilsdorf · · Jackson · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

You may have heard Jackson hole mountain resort is closed indefinitely from this last storm. 17 telephone poles down, including some of the burly steel ones. Let's go rock climbing!

I don't know the area super well for rock climbing, is anything dry right now? South and east faces at devils tower maybe? I lead a few chill 5.11s on trad down in moab and some 5.8-5.9 towers, buy wouldn't mind some cruiser 5.9 ish multi pitch stuff since I'm not in tip top climbing shape right now.

what's the move here boys and girls?!

Matt Enlow · · Wyoming · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 553
Andrew Gilsdorf wrote:You may have heard Jackson hole mountain resort is closed indefinitely from this last storm.
Sounds like a great chance to go uphill at JHMR to me :)

Your nearest and best bet is Lander, but as long as this wind storm is sitting on the state it won't be a ton of fun. When it _does_ clear out, this is prime sinks season. If you're feeling adventurous you could throw on some snowshoes and set up TR solos - because no one will want to go with you - on blacktail butte, too.
Matt Enlow wrote: Sounds like a great chance to go uphill at JHMR to me :) Your nearest and best bet is Lander, but as long as this wind storm is sitting on the state it won't be a ton of fun. When it _does_ clear out, this is prime sinks season. If you're feeling adventurous you could throw on some snowshoes and set up TR solos - because no one will want to go with you - on blacktail butte, too.
Ha, literally one of the first things the mountain said was "the no uphill travel rules will be strictly enforced." before talking about lift ticket refunds or the situation, they know everyone is going to be trying to poach the powder :)
Matt Enlow · · Wyoming · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 553
Andrew Gilsdorf wrote: Ha, literally one of the first things the mountain said was "the no uphill travel rules will be strictly enforced."
Nooooooooo! As if the pass wasn't crowded enough :)

ps: Looks like amazing Sinks weather from Sunday on.
Matt Enlow wrote: Nooooooooo! As if the pass wasn't crowded enough :) ps: Looks like amazing Sinks weather from Sunday on.
Yeah the pass is going to be a junkshow but we're at extreme avvy danger for the second time this season (and in like 5 yrs, apparently) so hopefully no one is on it today. The pass and the Canyon have been closed for like two days now, shits going down!

Saw that weather report, I haven't seen the sun in almost a week so that'll be real nice.
wankel7 · · Indiana · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10

What a mess....I got into Jackson Tuesday night when the power went out. I went to 25 Short Wednesday and had some outstanding turns. Thursday I woke up to light to moderate rain falling on my truck. Avy danger went to extreme.

The next leg of my trip is Big Sky....it only took 9 hours to get from Jackson to Big Sky since the two best ways over the mountains are closed. They say Teton pass is closed until the 11th.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply