Climbing near Carbondale, Colorado?

Original Post
Jess Arnold · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 386

I am considering spending a week in Carbondale this summer to participate in a writing symposium at the end of June. I will have to attend workshop from 9-5 but will have a weekend and some evenings free- is there anything nearby worth checking out that a climber with limited sport and bouldering experience would enjoy?
(I should note that I will likely not have a car)

Julius Grisette · · Carbondale · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Thousands of routes within two hours. A few awesome spots close by.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Sloper-Colorado-Rock-Climbs/dp/1938393228/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486653649&sr=1-1&keywords=western+sloper

There is the book for the area.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Also check out the independence pass book. Plenty of bouldering right off the road and its beautiful. Probably about 45 min from Carbondale.

Jess Arnold · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 386

Thanks everyone! Super stoked to check if out if I'm able to head out there.

C Ross · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 105

If you want to get out in the evening look at Redstone. Redstone has bouldering and sport route options. A lot of the various options you can be on the rock within 30 minutes of getting in the car in Carbondale. If you have limited experience bouldering I would avoid the Redstone Boulders, lots of pebble pinching. The river boulders in Redstone will be a better option. They also have sandy landings if you do not have a crash pad. Getting to Redstone not having a car will be the challenge to figure out.

Without a car and if you have someone to climb with the Pouox might be a good option. You could take the bus to Glenwood then hike the bike path into Glenwood Canyon to access the Pouox. There is a good choice of routes and some that you can get a top rope setup on if you do not have the gear and experience for lead climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply