Dry-Rotted Snow. I HATE THAT S %&!

Original Post
Ain't That Rich · · White Oaks, NM · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

It's hard enough getting around the backcountry when there's a crap-ton of snow, but it's even worse when it just sits there drying for weeks, shaded by trees and turns into this weird, white, aerated quicksand. On steep slopes, what takes 15min. to descend on snowshoes, takes 90 minutes of intense effort to come back up.

Do powder skis work better than snowshoes when travelling through this stuff? I've had a pretty tough time travelling the San Juan backcountry with skis too, though.....

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,332
Ain't That Rich wrote:It's hard enough getting around the backcountry when there's a crap-ton of snow, but it's even worse when it just sits there drying for weeks, shaded by trees and turns into this weird, white, aerated quicksand. On steep slopes, what takes 15min. to descend on snowshoes, takes 90 minutes of intense effort to come back up. Do powder skis work better than snowshoes when travelling through this stuff? I've had a pretty tough time travelling the San Juan backcountry with skis too, though.....
Skis 100%.. just get some fatties... like 120mm under foot and good skins. Problem gone.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply