Trad experience

Original Post
Max Mokijewski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Looking to get some trad climbing experience starting this spring. None of the partners I have at the moment have any interest in it but I've always been curious. I live in Chicago and am pretty wide open on the weekends to go to Devils Lake etc. I looked into a day climbing with a guide but it seems incredibly expensive so I figured I would try to see if there was anyone out there that wouldn't mind letting me join in on a trip and show me what the deal is before invest in gear/classes. Thanks!

Clifford Meece · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 148

I'm in chicago and go up to DL a few times a year. You're welcome to tag along. I have a full rack and am about to get my amga spi certification.

I climb at bkb a few times a week if you want to meet before then.

I also highly recommend taking the anchors 1 and 2 courses from devils lake climbing guides. It's not really centered around trad climbing but teaches how to use gear and how to build anchors and is a great introduction to the basics.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

+1. Nick and co are great. If you can lead in a gym and build anchors, you're on your way to leading trad. I usually make it up 1-2 times a month as well when the weather's good.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply