Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Canyon

Original Post
MTCowan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 3

I've found someone interested in climbing with me in BoCan tomorrow but I am having a hard time finding information about which areas are good in the winter. I was looking at Solaris or Avalon, but I haven't been to Boulder since last May, so I'm not sure if the Tyrolean is up still for those areas. Anyone have tips or insight?

Bruce Hildenbrand · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 945

Those are probably the coldest spots you can find in BoCan this time of year. The Bihedral area is your best bet, but make sure you respect the bird closures.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Bihedral and Animal World are both good choices with variety. Anything on the south side of the road will be in the shade most of the day.

Mark Wyss · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 280

You can also check out Castle rock (a little further up the canyon) and Happy Hour Crag. Have fun!

Adam Reke · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined May 2013 · Points: 10

It's slim pickins right now because you want to be on the North side of the road facing south, but many of those craigs are closed for raptor nesting. From the Forest Service "CURRENT CONDITIONS: Eagle Rock, Blob Rock, Bitty Buttress and Security Risk: CLOSED"

So that leaves you the dome, happy hour, riviera, Bihedral, and Lower Dream Canyon (Lower dream canyon is open, but the approach is closed)

Dr. VARMENT · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined May 2010 · Points: 95

The Spot, Movement, BRC

Eandrews21 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 70

The tyrolean is definitely still up for avalon and solaris, as others have said you will have a very small window of sun, dress warm!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply