Frogotton History of the Crags of Old Post

Original Post
Justin Barrett · · Russellville, AR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 85

In Russellville, AR there is a small state park called Old Post right beside the Arkansas River. Years ago, around late 80s, several bolted routs were placed on the bluffs near the Dardanelle Dam. However, an ethics war began between bolts and no bolts. On top of that, the rock quality was poor and chossy, bolts ripping out of rock on a fall weren't uncommon.

Later on, two to three people die in a climbing accident due to something along the lines of bolts failing or rockfall. The specific details on what actually happened isn't clear as this is where inconsistencies in the stories begin.

From there, the local community had a fit with it, and decided to chop all the bolts and put up no trespassing signs. Now all that remains are the holes that were once occupied by bolts and a single anchor that was forgotten about.

I want to know more about this history, and maybe write up what I've collected and present a little piece of climbing history.The older people who were around the time of the incident don't want to talk about it or have forgotten the details concerning it.I'm wondering if anyone on MP knows anything about this frogotton crag.

Ryan Surface · · Kansas City · Joined May 2014 · Points: 370

You would probably have better luck posting this in the Arkansas Climbers facebook group.

Justin Barrett · · Russellville, AR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 85

I've posted in multiple places, and frogot about that one. Will do

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply