Ropes comparible toa Mammut Infinity 9.5?

Original Post
Scott Hunt · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 5

I'm on my 3rd Mammut Infinity dry rope. The last two didn't seem to hold up well. They got fat and squishy, especially near the ends. I think my current rope is around 1-1.5 years old. I mostly sport climb and seldom take falls and I am not fat and squishy.

What else is out there around this diameter that will age a bit more gracefully?

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Hey Scott. If you're looking for something longer lasting the Maxim pinnacle 9.5 or glider 9.9 are among the burliest and longest lasting ropes I've used. They are however stiffer with the tight 1 over 1 weave. They are also not the lightest ropes but come with a great dry treatment and in bi pattern if you're into that. Compared to my sterling the sheath just lasts way longer. Ymmv.

ShireSmitty · · Boulda · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 70

A bit skinnier at 9.2, but the Revelation Protect is serving me well. I also quite like the Sterling (Nano?) 9.0, and the Bluewater Icon 9.1... I also have 2 Infinity 9.5s and I've gotten a ton of use out of both of them. At a bit thicker diameter my 9.7 Beal Unicore and my 9.8 Sterling have been golden and never let me down. I have a lot of ropes, maybe i have a problem...

ChossKing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Mammuts are the best ropes in my opinion. Second to Mammut is Sterling.

Ropes to avoid in my opinion, which is worth whatever you deem it: Maxim/New England Ropes, Blue Water, and possibly Beal, though less so.

-Choss

rkrum · · Colorado or somewhere else · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 15

I have no complaints about my infinity... myself and a few friends own this rope and are not nice to it. But it keeps on trucking. I have honestly not come across a more durable rope in this size range. Maybe try the 9.8 mammut?

The 9.7 bluewater is okay, but didn't hold up as well as the infinity. 9.0 sterling takes the cake for the least durable sheath I've ever seen.

In general though, I've found sterling ropes to be pretty resilient but I generally don't like how they handle compared to most mammuts. Just personal preference.

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 60

Used to get Mammut exclusively, but I have been thrilled with my Maxim Pinnacle after making a change.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply