Mountain Project Logo

DIY Training Equipment

Original Post
SICgrips · · Charlottesville · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 146

Here are some links to several grips, boards, devices that the do-it-yourselfer can make. We often come up with more ideas than are practical to make as commercial products but are happy to release the ones we don't use ideas to the climbing community as DIY projects. Also maybe in the future we will also offer limited production of some of the DIY designs. I'll add to this over time as more ideas emerge. I've included links to more detailed instructions when they exist. 

Here's what we have created so far over the last few years. A few of these I've posted in other threads but wanted to consolidate here. Feel free to add any plans/ideas that you've created. It would be great to have a dedicated thread for DIY ideas/projects. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

6GRIPS - the simplest, most versatile, grips you've never seen.

6 major grip positions and they can be adjusted in all three planes (vertical, horizontal, and rotational for degree of difficulty or comfort. Made from PVC pipe, plywood, and trim/molding. 

gBar - portable training bar

This relative simple bar is small enough to pack with you wherever you go. It has the advantage over grips in that there is only one thing to adjust instead of two. However, you loose the some of the adjustability of individual grips which can be important for those with wrist/elbow or shoulder issues. 

Portable training tripod We had it set up for three workout stations and for demoing our products. If you only wanted one station, you could do away with the wooden triangle mount which would make it simpler to build.

Continuum Hangboard offers a variety of progressively smaller dowels cut on a diagonal to offer a smooth progression in difficulty. The wood dowels offer comfort in training compared to rough resin edges/pockets of many hangboards. 

Grip Backboard Made up of a cheap commercial doorway pull-up bar and a removable board. Could be used to offer a solid backboard for using grips as shown or it could be used to mount a hangboard or individual holds if t-nuts were added. 

Roll Bar different diameter PVC pipes can easily be inserted to change from finger to half-hand sloper (4" dia. PVC). By rolling/unrolling you can generate an unreal pump fast. Probably most helpful to use in conjunction with a system for removing weight such as suing a harness, weights and an additional two pulleys to be able make it easier and add control. 

Doorway Hangbar Mount - no instructions - only the photos of our prototype for ideas. Folds almost flat and can be stored under a bed, behind a door, or in a closet. Was designed for hanging Gstring Grips but could easily be made mount holds or hangboard by adding a 3/4" hardwood ply "skin"on the front. 

Hallway Bridge Hanger - no instructions - main idea is to build an "H" shaped structure that sits on top of the molding of opposing doorways in a hallway. It is removable but can be left in place because it doesn't interfere with doors.

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

A lot of nice workmanship and innovation there, thanks.

But do you mean "DIY" (do it yourself)?

Oops, good catch. I think I fixed them all.

Peter nichols · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 95

whoa! thanks for all this!

Brian Matusiewicz · · Liberty, SC · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 35

I'm just leaving this here so I can come back and find this post later. Awesome ideas!

Owen Witesman · · Springville, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 111

Nice! You guys ever thought about crack training? There are plenty of designs out there, but I wonder what you could come up with given your expertise and out-of-the-box thinking.

Interesting you should ask. In fact, we have three designs in the works:

1) The Crack Rack has been a prototype for a while. We just need to find the time to make some final mods and cut another set of end plates. Then we need to figure out if it's commercially viable, either as a complete product, or maybe just as a hardware kit (much cheaper and easier to ship.It will mount holds or hangboard and the front plate can rotate turn into a full hand sloper. Crack adjusts from hand to OW (double fist) and the crack can be straight, incut, or flared:

Crack Rack

2) The Groove Tube - a proof of concept one time project - very labor intensive. Based on a 6.5" PVC pipe. Has features of a hangboard (edges, pinches, pockets) with integrated full hand sloper and a finger crack. Can be mounted on top of door with an insert removed (finger crack is not functional in this mode) or hung from it's cord sling similar to the gBar in either a vertical or horizontal orientation. This may be a while in coming. Just gather the materials.

3) The SqueezeBox. a DIY project based on wood clamps that is made to hang from it's cord sling - either vertical or horizontal. Can be adjusted for anything from hand to hand-fist stack. One side will mount a hangboard or something like the Continuum Board. Can also be adjusted for a full-hand flat sloper. This ones in progress.

Kinda late in posting this but here are the instructions for creating the Squeeze Box adjustable crack hangboard that can also mount holds and/or a hangboard on the outside of the plates. It can be adjusted from fingers through OW (hand/fist stack) and can be hung horizontally or vertically. The construction is based on using two wood clamps.

Roamin' Buffalo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 50

Bump for some great innovation and sharing with the community! ...and also so I can come back and find this post later.

Owen Witesman · · Springville, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 111

Very, very cool! Your grips are indeed sic.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "DIY Training Equipment"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started