Mountain Project Logo

Redwood Coast sport climbing - guidebook available?

Original Post
Jon L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Hello good people of California,

In April I will be heading down to your blessed state for a bit of a road trip.
I've seen in the database that there are quite a few crags for sport climbing along the redwood coast and a bit further inland.
I'll be camping at Standish-Hickey SRA for a couple of days to enjoy the coast, and for the moment considering heading towards Land of the Lost to get a day of sport climbing in.
Can anyone recommend this or another area around there?
Also, while MP is a great app and database, I find having a guidebook always useful. Are there any existing guidebooks for the area? My google skills didn't come up with anything.

Cheers

andrew thomas · · Orcas island · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 105

Bigfoot Country Climbing; Paul Humphrey and Eric Chemello, This book is found at Adventures Edge in Arcata and and Eureka.

andrew thomas wrote:Bigfoot Country Climbing; Paul Humphrey and Eric Chemello, This book is found at Adventures Edge in Arcata and and Eureka.
Thanks! I'll stop by there and pick it up.. Any recommendation on other crags?
splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Standish Hickey is kinda far from the coast and climbing and is not the greatest aside from a nice spot on the Eel River. I would not recommend camping there.

Look into Prairie Creek or Patrick's Point for pay camping at or near the beach and close to most of the climbing.

Land of the lost looks cool but its a long drive up there and you're not on the coast.

If you want coast climbing check into footsteps, promontory, high bluffs, Patrick's point, Moonstone.

Lost Rocks is a must do for bouldering IMO. You don't really need a crash pad with mostly sandy landings and has walk in camping nearby.

MP database is pretty good for the redwood coast crags.

splitclimber wrote:Standish Hickey is kinda far from the coast and climbing and is not the greatest aside from a nice spot on the Eel River. I would not recommend camping there. Look into Prairie Creek or Patrick's Point for pay camping at or near the beach and close to most of the climbing. Land of the lost looks cool but its a long drive up there and you're not on the coast. If you want coast climbing check into footsteps, promontory, high bluffs, Patrick's point, Moonstone. Lost Rocks is a must do for bouldering IMO. You don't really need a crash pad with mostly sandy landings and has walk in camping nearby. MP database is pretty good for the redwood coast crags.
That's some great recommendations, thanks!
Lost Rocks sounds like a good place to go for a bit of messing around on the boulders.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Redwood Coast sport climbing - guidebook availa…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started