Hetch Hetchy Climbing

Original Post
Madeline Farmer · · Oakland, California · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Has anyone ever done any of the routes on Kolona or Wapama Rock in Hetch Hetchy? I am trying to dig around for some beta, super interested in getting on some of the routes! Climbing Magazine put out a good article a couple years back ( climbing.com/news/resurrect... ) and it lists all of the routes at the end of the article. I am specifically looking to find some info on The Nose (Wapama Rock) and The North Face of Kolona.

Any information on pitches/logistics would be awesome! I am also curious on any info that anyone has about sleeping on the wall in Hetch Hetchy, I know there are some strict backpacking rules - permit required - are you allowed to sleep up on the wall at all?

Thanks guys!

Maddy

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,040

Shit, why post this? Now i have MORE projects....grrrrrrr
Awesome info, wish i did not live so close......grrrrrr
And btw, no, have not done.

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. And have definitely been thinking about HH climbing.

Ben Horowitz · · Berkeley · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 123

My impression of Hetch Hetchy is people like to keep it as pure/original adventure climbing as possible... or the routes really suck and nobody bothers to post up much info :P

I've tried doing some research into those routes in the past and I haven't found any more specifics, but I doubt there are really restrictions on sleeping on the walls beyond the back-packing restrictions. Best of luck! :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply