R3 Crash Pad by Mad Rock, Reviews/Opinions?

Original Post
Jake Fereday · · Belton, TX · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 20

Looking at picking one of these up, wondering what some of you who already have it/have used it think.

Andrew V · · Denver CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

A little heavy for long approaches, but a very good pad. At Belton none of the approaches should be a problem with it. Easily holds a good amount of gear because of the taco design.

As an aside, I had an excellent customer service experience. About a year or two after I purchased my pad it split on a seam (likely a manufacturing issue, not abuse). I contacted Mad Rock they sent me a replacement immediately with a paid return label for the broken pad.

Skf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Got one used in pretty rough shape, taken it out several times since. Definitely consider the weight to size ratio if you'll be taking on approaches longer than a mile or so. It does hold a lot of gear, but the weight of the pad plus heavy gear (not that you need much for bouldering, but water e.g.) can make the pad pretty unwieldy to carry. In my case this might be exacerbated by one of the shoulder straps coming apart at the top seam (though sewed back together). Really excellent to have for uneven landings since its design allows it to drape over jagged points and fill in gaps, but it wouldn't be my first choice in any other scenario.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

I have a friend who owns one. It's definitely a speciality piece - especially good for rough landings where you want wrap the pad around various rocks etc.

Jake Fereday · · Belton, TX · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 20

What would everyone recommend for a good all around pad?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply