Malibu Creek - Water Level

Original Post
Sleyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 30

Hi.
Just saw a thread on the partner forum that the water level was high and the ghetto wall area was flooded. Does anyone know if the ghetto wall area is still flooded? Last time I was there, ghetto was dry and I'm comfortable w/ the 5.0 traverse. If ghetto is flooded, I'm a bit more hesitant since I don't swim (which sucks). Any beta on the water level for next week is greatly appreciated.
-S.

TheClimbingChemist · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

I was out there today. There is a lot of water. Intended to go to the stumbling blocks but the creek crossing was a raging river and I was not ready to get wet. Ended up going to drifter wall. The dam was also overflowing. Not easy (possible?) to access powerwall either. Drifter was dry for the most part. I would assume that the normal staging area for ghetto is under water. It may be a little while until it fully drains out. Hope that helps.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 45

I have a raft and will be charging $5 a crossing. Will save you 25 min of wait time at the traverse at end of the day. We can discuss other fees for rigging tyroleans across other areas.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Don't you guys think it might be a little to wet to go pulling on that choss right now???

That stuff is mostly mud stone.

Go to the granite if you must climb... if you don't know where that is.. send me a PM I'll send you a clue.

And its a good thing we are getting a good flood... that toilet needs to get the handle pushed down every now and then.

Jest saying

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 45

I second what Guy says. Our sandstone is off limits for a few weeks with all this moisture. Please find granite for now

Jeff Lee11 · · Thousand Oaks, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 35

Most of the walls there are pretty shaded right? Not going to dry out any time soon.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Hi... All.

One can climb on the giant boulders in the creak bed even in the rain... heck they were formed by the water. Its the higher up stuff that gets soaked... gorgeous, the stumbling blocks-- anything up and out of the creak bed.

The Apes Wall and the Ghetto do dry and get climbable pretty fast.

ECHO cliffs..... water weakens that place also. My friend pulled off a block one time that was about 4 feet by 6 feet and 18 inches thick!!!!! Only the fleet footed belayer and the fact that Larry had not clipped the bolt that was placed in the block make it a laughing matter.

Wheeler Gorge... again the stuff down in the creak bed is good and solid.

Otherwise go to the Quarry or out to the hi-desert or New Jack city.

Thats what Im going to do this Sunday, rain or shine.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5
Sleyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 30

Oh man. Thanks for the info. Will definitely have to come back when the water recedes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply