Mountain Project Logo

Texas forum? Climbing in Texas?

Original Post
Chick on Crack · · Superior, CO · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Howdy Texas. Talk to me about the opportunities to climb in Texas while also living near a beach. I'm from Florida, currently living in Colorado, and am ready to get back to the south or southeast. Cheers!

Dylan Carey · · TX · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 145

Howdy there partner. There's climbing all over the state, although I would say more abundant in central/south Texas and less abundant in the panhandle. Gyms are popping up in all major cities. Hueco Tanks has world class bouldering. Enchanted rock is my home crag, wonderful pink granite that holds hundreds of routes, multiptich and crack. Reimers ranch near Austin is the limestone sport climbers scene. Austin also has a greenbelt with routes and deep water solo outside the city at Lake Travis. Smaller crags here and there...Many of the adventurous are hitting some wild adventure climbing on the Pecos, I hear there are 300-500 foot bolted routes out there. Big Bend Ntl Park is a sea of rocks and mountains with little development. And of course, a 8 hr drive south and you're in El Potrero Chico, home to 23 pitch bolted routes. Here's a local forum....http://erockonline.com/ Most anyone I've met climbing here are super friendly and would love to show you the ropes. Where ya moving to?

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

I would recommend living in Austin, as you have some limestone sport routes right in town for after work and more within 45 miles at Reimer's Ranch. Granite at Enchanted Rock is about 100 miles away. Then, you can drive down to Corpus Christi for the weekend when you like, which is the best of the Texas beaches with miles of National Seashore.

Plus, Austin is just a cool place to live. No other city in Texas is like it.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

Texas Canyon is the place you should be.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Hello Chick. I'm curious, are you able to telework or have your own business anywhere in the States? Or just inquiring about different areas, or just tired of CO? I thought you were thinking about SLC.

I've lived in Houston and Austin, and as for beaches Galveston Beach isn't as bad as people pretend it is. Not too crowded either. Some areas you can drive right onto. Lots of piers to walk down and be in the middle of the ocean. The water is warm though, because the Gulf is shallow. You can rent a 2/4 person bicycle car and ride down the boardwalk. But Houston doesn't have much climbing except gyms, 8 hrs to EPC (and a direct flight). You may have heard of the humidity also, and amazing downpours. It's sprawling, many areas to live in, I've lived in the suburb of Spring and don't recommend it unless you have a family. I also lived in the Post Oak & Westheimer area which is a bit more hip.

Austin is a nice mid-sized city, plenty to do, but it's landlocked- you mentioned wanting to live near a beach. It does have Barton Springs for a cold summer swim, as well as Lake Travis, and ummmm Hippy Hollow (if you are inclined) and Hamilton Pool (closed when I tried to go there). You can drive a few hours to New Branfuls and go tubing. It's a good place to ride motorcycles in Hill country. I didn't climb yet when I lived there, but it sounds like there are some small crags there. It is like 7 hrs drive to EPC.

I keep saying EPC b/c it's one of my favorite places to climb, and closest state is Texas.

When you say "beach" I am interpreting it as coastal water (excluding lakes, rivers) and also a place that is warm enough to go to (which excludes Northern areas). Some areas of California might fit the bill for climbing & beach proximity, but it is expensive. North Carolina might be the other southern coastal state that also has close climbing. If "beach" includes lakes, maybe SLC would work after all, or Lake Tahoe (though expensive).

Driving to the Potrero is something we did every other long weekend, and sometimes on normal weekends. Corpus Christi is a mere three hour drive from Austin. I'm from Houston, so unless there is a super nice job there I would stick with Austin.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

You guys are too nice. I thought this was a lazy post. Doesn't even appear that the OP even did any research of her own.

Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 615

^^^ really? This site/forum is a fantastic resource of living personal route and area info.. Texas is a massive crazy State and I love most all the great information the OP is getting.

To be clear, her question involved beaches, climbing and the State of Texas. Not sure that odd combos answer to the question is right at the fingertips.

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

I agree OP seems to be lazily putting feelers out and probably not actually moving anywhere, but I'm at work on this Saturday night (like many a Saturday night) & needed a question to answer.

^^^
OK, that was good.
(Edit: what happened to the fat picture?)

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
Fat Dad wrote:^^^ OK, that was good. (Edit: what happened to the fat picture?)
I'm guessing Hank got flagged. Probably should have done it myself.
Patrick Wilder · · Birmingham, Alabama · Joined May 2015 · Points: 10

Texas is in the South?

I thought it was funny. Anyways, to the OP, do some research first, then ask the good people on this site to spend some time helping you. It's your trip after all, not theirs.

spellstrike · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 23

FYI,
Texas is part of the midwest part of this forum. mountainproject.com/v/midwe…

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

NC will be better for climbing while still being relatively close to the beach.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
Patrick Wilder wrote:Texas is in the South?
As much as it's in the same part of the country as Chicago... but the proprietor seems unlikely to improve the categorization here anytime soon.

To the OP:

Beach or nearby climbing - pick one, you can't have both. Shelf is closer to Denver than Reimers is to Houston, and if you move to Austin, the nearest beach is about 4 hours away.

You can also enjoy river tubing in Texas, specifically right in Austin down the Barton Creek Greenbelt. It's flowing right now, as a matter of fact. The limestone climbing areas are all along that creek.

There's even a route up that big cliff, called the Urban Assault.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply