Ice climbing in Norway

Original Post
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 685

Hei hei!

I'm moving to Tromso or Trondheim.

Wondering if anybody has experience with ice climbs in the nearby areas?

I'm trying to figure out temp ranges, best times of year etc so I can gear up before I head out.

Tell me some stories!

Kevin Craig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 325

Congratulations! Biggest limitation in "winter" will be the very limited daylight depending on how far north you are (Tromso and Trondheim are of course both pretty north-ish). Also, conditions can change very dramatically very rapidly due to the coastal location - even in "inland" areas. Depending on the area, climbs often come in and out (and "out" as in turn back into waterfalls) several times. That said, there's a HUGE amount of ice to be climbed there and I'm sure no shortage of FA's still. Here's a reasonable Facebook page to start with:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=isklatring%20i%20trondheim%20og%20s%C3%B8r-tr%C3%B8ndelag

I suspect if you post there, you'll get a decent amount of info since Norway-dwelling ice climbers, oddly, don't seem all that numerous so I'm sure they'll be psyched to have new partner material.

Though it's further south, Rjukan has a good guidebook to the area (Heavy Water) and there's a new-ish guidebook to the Hemsedal area (Hemsedal Ice). The Laerdal and Rasdalen areas are excellent though among the more changeable. Info isn't quite as available on-line as many other areas, but it's out there if you look around.

Good luck and have fun!

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 478

I did a trip ski touring in late April through the Lyngen Alps a few years back. Temps were very mild, don't think it was much below mid 20s ever. Ice in gullies was plentiful, but most was below avy terrain. I found their weather forecasting incredibly accurate.

Phil Lauffen · · The Bubble · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,205

I've lived in Trondheim on and off over the past few years. Depending on temps, great ice climbing can be had 30min -> 2 hours away. The valleys around Oppdal (2 hours south of Trondheim) are stacked with single pitch to 800m multipitch columns.

Here is just one route out of a few hundred:
https://www.mountainproject.com/v/kongsvollsfossen/109414080

Kongsvollfossen

In the summer you've got Hell for sport climbing ~30 min away, and Flatanger is about 3 hours away.

calebmmallory · · Seattle, N.Carolina, &Hong ... · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 405

Hemsedal is sick!

It looks SO GREAT!!!

Thanks for getting me excited guys!

-Cam

Nils Wiggen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hi! I live in Tromsø now and have also lived in the Trondheim area. These two places are totally different from each other. In the north we have a lot more alpine nature. The Trondheim area is ass boring compared to Tromsø/Senja/Lyngen. Here we have alpine lines and icefalls right outside our doors. The season is also a lot longer. The downside is that it is pretty dark during winter, but it lightens up in February :) If the main purpose is to climb or ski it would be fail to move to Trondheim.

Hi Nils,

I will at the very least be spending the next year in Tromsø.

Sending you a PM.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply