Moving to Ventura/Oxnard?

Original Post
yosem1te · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 15

So I just got a job offer to work in Ventura/Oxnard, and I'm trying to decide if its a move I want to make. Is anyone from the area? I'm a college student currently, so I'm interested in moving to a city with both climbing access and is somewhat interesting place to live. I'm willing to drive about an hour or two to get to climbing. Honestly, I don't know much about the area, so anyone who has lived or lives in the area, any thoughts you could give me would be helpful. How is living there, is it safe, are there climbing gyms around, etc. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Hugo Watt · · Southern California · Joined May 2012 · Points: 5

I live in Camarillo for school and find Ventura County to be very nice. Ojai and Santa Barbra are close and both have tons of climbing. Pt Mugu is small but a great place to practice jamming and gear placements, not to mention the legendary stoney point is less than an hour away.

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 273

Stay for the surf, drive (Jtree, S. Sierra, Yos/TM, Red Rock, Tahquitz all 4-6 hrs) for the climbing.

There is enough local stuff to keep you busy for a while, but I'm jaded and prefer the good stuff and am happy to drive for it.

DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Lots of great stuff near. I live in Carpinteria just north of Ventura greatest little city I've ever lived in. Loads of good climbing near and tons of great climbing a reasonable drive.

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

If you can get a spot on pierpont beach do it. Pretty good neighborhood and I managed to afford it as a 20 year old kid. The climbing is close enough. The surf is great. The food is great. The golden China has karaoke every night of the week. Venturas a good spot man. Just avoid Ventura avenue unless you're hittin up lalos tacos

ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

Where are you moving from?

As others have said, there's enough local stuff to get your fix.. and you're 4-6hrs away from a large number of world class destinations.

I would move there in a heartbeat.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 80

Fucking love it here!

ChrisN wrote:Where are you moving from? As others have said, there's enough local stuff to get your fix.. and you're 4-6hrs away from a large number of world class destinations. I would move there in a heartbeat.
I'm moving from Massachusetts.
ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

Move to Ventura as fast as humanly possible. You will never go back.

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I second what Joe and Chris said. Ventucky is great man. And I'm originally from Virginia. I moved back to Va for a little and was back out here in 10 months. Also had a captain from the boat I work on from Massachusetts who lived here. He moved back to Mass last year, he's already planning on coming back out

Edit: basically what I'm trying to say is don't waste anytime at all, pack your bags and get moving brada!

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Climbing could get a little harder with so much great, authentic Mexican food around!

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,565
Matt N wrote:Stay for the surf, drive (Jtree, S. Sierra, Yos/TM, Red Rock, Tahquitz all 4-6 hrs) for the climbing. There is enough local stuff to keep you busy for a while, but I'm jaded and prefer the good stuff and am happy to drive for it.
Matt pretty much sums it up. Local areas include Wheeler Gorge, Sespe, and the Foot in Ojai. Santa Barbara opens up more opportunities including Gibraltar and San Ysidro. Tons of bouldering (if that's your thing) at Pine Mountain and off Hwy 154 just out of Santa Barbara.

There is a small climbing gym in SB on lower State St. There used to be a small one in Ventura as well, but it may have gone out of business.

Edit to add: Echo Cliffs is an easy day trip. The Central Coast is a beautiful place to live if you can afford it!

Thanks for the advice everyone, sounds awesome! Any tips on favorite restaurants, bars, coffee, etc?

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,565

Corrales on E Thompson for cheap Mexican food. Pete's Breakfast House on E Main does a great breakfast. Duke's on Seaward for burgers.

Lots of craft breweries have popped up in the past couple of years: Surf, MadeWest, Poseidon, Topa Topa...

Real Cheap Sports has great deals on gear and is locally-owned.

JeffMK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 240

You'll love the area. I know there is a climbing gym in the area, but I can't recall the name right now. I loved living in Santa Barbara, which is not too far north of where you're looking, especially after areas like Panic Town and Invisible Wall opened up.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 80

Gym in Ventura is closed, but there's plenty of local rock. I second MadeWest and add Spencer Mackenzies fish tacos

csproul · · Davis, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330
Matt N wrote:Stay for the surf, drive (Jtree, S. Sierra, Yos/TM, Red Rock, Tahquitz all 4-6 hrs) for the climbing. There is enough local stuff to keep you busy for a while, but I'm jaded and prefer the good stuff and am happy to drive for it.
^^this. One of the worst places I have ever lived when it comes to "local" climbing. Get used to driving if you want quality.
DanielHart · · Carpinteria ca · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

The more you get into the local community the more areas become available. I started climbing in my home of Chattanooga and there is plenty of good climbing in the Ventura ojai Santa Barbara area.

Christopher K. · · Summerlin, NV · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 115

Disagree with csproul about the local climbing. It's not exactly world class, but our local choss piles are not all terrible. And there are a number of crags not found on mountain project or in guidebooks that the locals climb (one of which has over 50 sport routes with a 5 minute approach). For a quality trad crag, check out panic town on mountain project or sespe gorge outside of ojai.

I've also heard from the folks at boulderdash in Thousand Oaks that they are planning on building a new gym in Ventura soon.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Lots of great climbing in Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties....

Smaller spots, with out people, not on the MP or anyplace else

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

You'll love Ventura. Great town. Great wilderness all around it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply