Mountain Project Logo

Privacy concern/ last name inserted into user name unconsented

Original Post
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

There are reasons, other than the times I'm a bit of an asshole here, that I wouldn't want my name on some parts of the internet.

Now can you explain to me why my last name suddenly appeared into part of my user name without me making any changes? This, along with someone else having their face book picture pop into their avatar without them making that change makes me raise some serious privacy questions of the MP admins.

wtf is going on guys?

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

On that note:

Maybe if this place weren't anonymous, there wouldn't be so many assholes...

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Everyone's in bed with Facebook now. Also I would guess that since REI now owns MP there's some background stuff happening...

I work in IT and like I tell all of my users - there's no such thing as an expectation of privacy anymore...

If you were to actually sit and read everything in privacy policies (like Facebook) you would see that they can pretty much do anything they want with anything you own (including your picture)

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Matt Pierce wrote:Everyone's in bed with Facebook now. Also I would guess that since REI now owns MP there's some background stuff happening...
Yep, between facebook and ticking your routes on here REI will be able to send highly focused advertising at you based on where you hang. Right now they're just getting you all sorted out ;) JB
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Privacy concern/ last name inserted into user n…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started