Looking for climbing partners in California area (April)

Original Post
Lasse Bager · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi

I'm visiting California for a months vacation in April (April 3 - May 3), so I'm looking for someone to join me for some climbing while I'm there.
I will be renting a van and the plan is to visit lots of national parks and explore the beautiful nature Cali and the surounding areas.

Will be landing and leaving from LA.
My travel plans are very flexible but my loose plan looks something like this.
LA > JTree > Grand Canyon > Vegas > Death Vally > Sequoia > Sierra > Yosemite > San Fran > Coast road back to LA.

I'm 31 years old, from Denmark.
I've been climbing for about 4 years, mostly sport and bouldering - climbing around 5.11 max. I have done some sport multi pitches, but no experience trad climbing, but im very open to trying some if i can find someone willing to lead :) Would really like to do some easy chill multi pitch/big wall climbing while im there, if possible.

So if anyone would like to meet up and climb with me for a day or more in any of the locations i will be travelling through, please let me know.

Chad Namolik · · Three Rivers, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,350

Hey I live near Sequoia, I'll climb w/ you, lemme know when you make it here.

Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Once the date gets closer i'll be happy to join you at jtree and/or vegas. I live in LA (20 min from LAX) so we can figure out some sort of carpool. We can do some fun multi pitch stuff at both jtree and red rocks.

Sounds really awsome guys :) i will get in touch with you when the date gets closer.

Vince Meza · · Ridgecrest, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I live in the Southeastern Sierra. Down to make a trip to the Whitney Portal or Bishop for a day of climbing while you're out. Let me know!

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 115

You have a very good chance of finding partners at Rock Rock in April just by checking the board at the "climbers" campground. Target the period between April 7 and April 17, which is "Easter Holiday/Spring Break" week at a lot of colleges. If you got to the campground on the 5th or 6th, you might, just might, find and open site, which you could then generously offer to share with any of the hoards of desperate climbers who show up on Friday.

I agree that it would be a great experience to do a multipitch trad climb but that is asking a lot of a stranger. You are essentially asking for someone to be a guide, since they would be leading everything. Also consider that you could "barter" leading sport routes in trade for someone else leading you up some gear routes. I'll bet there are a lot of people who would love to get up "Unimpeachable Groping" - a 700 foot 10.b sport climb - and would trade that for leading you up something like Crimson Chrysalis.

It's not clear what you mean by "easy chill" routes, but maybe you mean 5.6-5.8? Many trad routes at at Red Rock (like Crimson Chrysalis 5.8) require almost no crack technique, so as a 5.11 sport climber you would probably not have any trouble with the actual climbing. They are essentially face climbs which use the crack for protection.

There are some walls scattered around that have 1-3 pitch easy/moderate cracks where you can see how it goes if you find a willing partner. Something like Ragged Edges or Peaches in the Willow Springs area, or Valentine's Day or Classic Corner in the Calico Basin area. All four of those (5.8s) actually require crack technique.

Be sure to update this thread with your cell phone # and real schedule once you get here and know where you are going to be. I'll probably be in RR for some or all of that week and my partner and I might be able to invite you to join us on a convenient day.

Thx a lot for the advice :)

I will for sure update the thread when it gets closer with some info.
And contact some of the people who have shown interest.

Hi Everyone
Arrived in Cali yesterday, and are currently camping in the Joshua Tree area.
Anyone up for some climbing in JT or somewhere close to it - i am also up for some bouldering :)

I will prob be staying in JT for a couple of days at least, after that towards Grand Canyon for a short visit.
After that i'll be swinging back towards Vegas and Red Rocks and then back to Cali for Sequoia > Sierra > Yosemite.

Hopefully someone is up for some climbing, also I'm very flexible with my plans, so I'm open to any suggestions :)

Andy Gorrill · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Hey dude. I'm available super early tomorrow and thursday, 530 to 730am. And Friday after 11 for the rest of the day. I live in town, jt, so text me if you're interested. 7604138152. 

-andy

Andy Gorrill wrote:

Hey dude. I'm available super early tomorrow and thursday, 530 to 730am. And Friday after 11 for the rest of the day. I live in town, jt, so text me if you're interested. 7604138152. 

-andy

Hey Andy

That might be a little too early for me.

And I'm still not sure if I'll be staying until Friday.

Haven't had a lot of sleep the last couple of days. But if I wake up early like today I'll text you.

Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

not sure what your itinerary looks like but i'll be in red rocks the 14-16 with a group of people. Doing mostly sport or single pitch trad the first day, longer trad moderate routes the next, and maybe climb some more on sunday. 

Ryan511 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Where are you climbing today, I'm close to JTree looking for a partner! 847 977 1461 

I'm currently in the Vegas area now, and will be climbing in Red Rock Monday.

But am probably up for some more days in Red Rock, if someone is available Tuesday or Wednesday.

Then I'm going back towards Cali, heading for the Sierra and then Yosemite area.

I'm now around Morro Bay, and will be moving towards LA during the next week.

So if anyone is up for some climbing during the next few weeks, let me know :)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Lasse Bager wrote:

I'm now around Morro Bay, and will be moving towards LA during the next week.

So if anyone is up for some climbing during the next few weeks, let me know :)

There is some fun single-pitch climbing at Bishop Peak, which is in San Luis Obispo (20 minutes from Morro Bay). Unfortunately, there is rain in the forecast until Wednesday.

Water Monkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Dang! I live in morro bay but I'm going to joshua tree tomorrow. Like frank said there's some area to climb in slo but there's rain in the forecast.  Cruise down to Jtree!  Not sure how much longer you'll be In cal for but if you can make it down to josh again you could climb with us

Water Monkey wrote:

Dang! I live in morro bay but I'm going to joshua tree tomorrow. Like frank said there's some area to climb in slo but there's rain in the forecast.  Cruise down to Jtree!  Not sure how much longer you'll be In cal for but if you can make it down to josh again you could climb with us

Yeah, I'm a bit sad about the rain forecast as well :(
Not sure I have enough miles left on the car to make it back to JT this time around, sadly - thx for the offer though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply