Looking for trad/sport partner in OC/LA area

Original Post
Nick Porter · · Brea, California · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

Hey all, I'm looking for some folks to climb with outdoors locally. My wife and I climbed pretty steady in the gym and I climbed a bit outdoors before she got pregnant with our little girl. She's bout to turn 1 and I'm itching to get back out there.

More so interested in trad as I eventually want to get into multi pitch so if you have trad experience all the better. I have a small trad rack, cams, nuts, draws etc and a rope.

Lil bout me, 33 years old with a one year old daughter. I work full time in aerospace and get every other Friday off. So weekends are really the only time I can get out. Experienced camper and wouldn't be Appleseed to overnights. Would love to get my wife back out there as well so couples with small kids would be awesome.

So anyone interested in getting out there with a relative newb?

Colin Sander Secret Yinzer · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 10

Nick,

I'm down to help you break the seal on some trad come spring. I'd highly recommend checking out Stoney Point, too.. It's close to LA, good with a tight schedule and family... and can give you more pump in 90 minutes than a 10-pitch day at the crag might.

I'm 29 / married, with no kids. Glad to take you up some safe stuff and join you on something that you could bring the baby to, or if you have a sitter, climb with you and your wife. Easy stuff only because I don't want an injury on my conscience with you guys being new parents!

big fan of Tahquitz. I also climb at the Kern / dome rock / needles. Sierra alpine is what I'm looking to dig into again this spring and summer.. I'd be glad to bring you along for something fun like Lone Pine Peak or Whitney-portal area granite.

send me a message I'll get you my number!
-Colin

sounds good, just shot ya a message!

JeffMK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 160

I'm in a similar boat as you both. 30, married and no kids. I'm actually looking to try to get out tomorrow if either are interested? Due to the rain, it would involve having to go beyond LA to find some granite.

Colin Sander Secret Yinzer · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 10

Jeff,

shoot me a message / email. Tahquitz is definitley snowy and icy as heck...

but I bet you could climb dry granite in kernville (one of my favorite areas) if you are making the drive. I'm on lockdown and cant get out this weekend but hit me up for another time

Colin Sander Secret Yinzer wrote:Jeff, shoot me a message / email. Tahquitz is definitley snowy and icy as heck... but I bet you could climb dry granite in kernville (one of my favorite areas) if you are making the drive. I'm on lockdown and cant get out this weekend but hit me up for another time
Just sent you a PM. I figured Jtree would be the best option, the weather looks mild tomorrow. I haven't climbed Kernville, but would like to check it out sometime.

Well damn wish I could get out as well this weekend. But kids make it tough lol. Maybe when it warms up tahquitz/kernville could be an option for the three of us. More trad knowledge I can soak up the better haha.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,297

Hey Nick,

My wife and I also have a 1 year old (about 9 months actually) and we're always looking for more people to go climbing with to make it easier watching the kids and all that. We mainly trad climb (lead 5.9 comfortably) and also climb some sport climbing here and there.

The next available weekend we have open is 2/24 unless you'd like to climb stoney point or gym until then. I go to boulderdash in SFV.
-Mike

Brian Paik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

If you guys don't mind a single dad (daughter just turned 7) to be thrown into the mix, I'd love to join in on some outings.

Long story short, started climbing in mid 2000 (SCMA grad), got married had a kid, stopped climbing sold all gear (buying everything again) and now trying to get back into it.

I climbed mostly trad and started leading when climbing came to a hault.

I'm in DTLA and travel quite a bit for work but definitely can free up some weekends here and there.

Thanks guys.

-Brian

Brian/Mike
Yeah sounds good to me. Honestly my wife isn't really itching to climb again yet (working to get her back into it). but i am definatly interested in doing some day trips in the Angeles NF and Tahquitz area if you guys are interested. I think i will need to work up to Tahquitz as i have very little trad experience but its a goal. Seems like enough folks here are interested we could get a decent group going.

I just got a gym membership at Stronghold in DTLA also if anyone else climbs there. I'm totally out of shape but not that I've ever been a strong climber.

Anyone looking to get out on this rare dry Saturday?

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,297

Hey Jeff,

My wife and I are probably going somewhere this Saturday. Possibly tick rock? any other ideas?

Mike Womack wrote:Hey Jeff, My wife and I are probably going somewhere this Saturday. Possibly tick rock? any other ideas?
I was considering Saddle Peak for an easy day with some trad mixed in (not sure if it would be a bit chilly with the north-face though), Panic Town in Santa Barbara, or even a day trip to Jtree. I've never been to Tick Rock, but definitely not into being a 3rd wheel as my wife can't climb this weekend, but you guys have fun!
Clayton Larkins · · Irvine, CA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

Hi- Jeff, I would definitely be interested in getting out on Saturday (some trad and/or sport cragging preferably, to help me back off the proverbial couch). I'm new to the area and have been itching to get over to Joshua tree, but am game to see some closer crags too, if you have a preference. I'm in Irvine, so it looks like Saddle Peak, which you mentioned in your post, is about as far as J tree from here. Let me know what you think.
Cheers!
Clay

Clayton Larkins wrote:Hi- Jeff, I would definitely be interested in getting out on Saturday (some trad and/or sport cragging preferably, to help me back off the proverbial couch). I'm new to the area and have been itching to get over to Joshua tree, but am game to see some closer crags too, if you have a preference. I'm in Irvine, so it looks like Saddle Peak, which you mentioned in your post, is about as far as J tree from here. Let me know what you think. Cheers! Clay
PM Sent

Anyone on this thread interested in climbing April 22-23?

I was thinking of keeping it local at Saddle Peak (Topanga/Malibu) and exploring it more.  I've been there once with a friend/mentor who's helped developed the area and put up routes/bolt anchors.

Open to climbing other areas as well.

Brian

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply