Mountain Project Logo

Have lots of brand new jackets and backpacks for sale but need advice before I post here

Original Post
zo waldman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I know a guy who runs an outdoor magazine and gets sent gear from companies all the time. It was all piling up in his garage and he never uses any of it so I had the job of clearing all the stuff out and putting it into storage. He wants me to sell everything, so I'm going to take pictures of all the gear but it's a bit overwhelming because of how much stuff there is. Should I just post everything here? I feel like I'll get flooded with messages haha. I'm just looking for any words of wisdom on how I should start selling all this stuff. All the bags are nice and brand new. Some Black Diamond, Osprey, North Face, Dueter, REI, etc. Same with the jackets. Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me some advice!

jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

If you have name-brand items you may have better luck on eBay despite them taking a 10% cut. You'll reach a broader market, not have as much haggling, etc.

I think MP is best for niche items that climbers want - like lightly used pro. But, for example, if I was selling some Arcteryx jackets (or anything that has more of a general outdoor / camping appeal), I'd put it on eBay with a low starting bid because you'll reach a larger market. It's more work to list things one by one but then it's also easier to keep track of (as opposed to fielding tons of messages in a haphazard way on MP).

For this to work effectively, you need to know what it is you're selling and be able to list it accurately. Saying "BD pack" won't get you squat on Ebay, but "BD Speed 22" will.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

EBay.

or just send it all to me.

goingUp · · over here · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 30

MP knows what that stuff is really worth..... plus you get to hook the community up with the chance to save a few bucks on high quality stuff.

I also might just be saying this to try to get a good deal on what you have...

dahigdon · · phoenix, Az · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 220

If your just looking to make as much money as possible, Ebay is probably the best bet, but its a real pain in the ass. MP is much easier and its going to other climbers which makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
goingUp wrote:MP knows what that stuff is really worth.....
...unless its used Camalots.

OP - just be sure to actually mark the shit down. I hate seeing people asking more money for a used R1 hoody (or #1 Camalot) than I could pay online during multiple sales per year.
Tugrul P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30

hello,

so where did you list them? I am interested in new jackets.
Thanks

paul northup · · Somerville, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 55

Interested in the packs, posting to follow this thread.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Have lots of brand new jackets and backpacks fo…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started