Gunks Conditions

Original Post
John Doe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 28

How much snow is on the ground? Looking to boulder at the Trapps on Sunday.

Bump. Any updates on how much snow the Gunks got in the last few days?

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 410

http://www.climbingweather.com/New-York/Gunks%2C-The

http://www.weather.gov/crh/snowfall

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

Close to a foot of snow everywhere. Deeper in wind-blown drifts.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

Bring a shovel, broom and a tarp.

Adam Gellman · · Jersey City · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 130

Any guesses for the conditions next Sunday?

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

Martinez Cave will be dry if that's within your wheelhouse. Happy to meet up and hike there together

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 240

Weather is gonna be great this weekend, but there's also going to be a lot of melting action on the cliff and along the trails. Get sloppy, expect wet spots, and stay safe.

I'll post an update this week if any conditions change

But if there's a foot of snow on top of the roof, won't the last few moves of cataclysms edge be wet?

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
John Doe wrote:But if there's a foot of snow on top of the roof, won't the last few moves of cataclysms edge be wet?
Yeah I decided that it's too much hiking to find that the top out is wet :)

I'm thinking about showing up Sunday for some routes. It will hit 50 degrees!

Rob D. · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30

Going up monday. Will hike if everything is soaked but psyched to get a day of climbing in february after getting a couple in january

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,474

Rather fun skiing this afternoon Thursday on the carriage roads. Still plenty of snow cover both on and off those forest roads.

Breakable crust on Undercliff carriage road (goes under the Trapps climbing routes) - because not groomed for skiing. Hard surface for fast skating on the (groomed, but not recently) Overcliff carriage road - around the northwest side of the Trapps ridge.
. . (Oakwood Drive carriageway was newly groomed this afternoon).

Maybe I'll be out skiing again on Sunday.

Ken

Rob D. · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30
kenr wrote:Rather fun skiing this afternoon Thursday on the carriage roads. Still plenty of snow cover both on and off those forest roads. Breakable crust on Undercliff carriage road (goes under the Trapps climbing routes) - because not groomed for skiing. Hard surface for fast skating on the (groomed, but not recently) Overcliff carriage road - around the northwest side of the Trapps ridge. . . (Oakwood Drive carriageway was newly groomed this afternoon). Maybe I'll be out skiing again on Sunday. Ken
I don't know anything about skiing but is 60 degrees really ideal?
Ken Carrara · · Holtsville, NY · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 235

How much snow is on the ground? Its supposed to be a very warm weekend, Im just not sure how much still needs to melt. Thinking about climbing Sundayand maybe let Saturday be a melt day?

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

I would worry about any ice and rock on the cliff coming down, mostly during the initial days of the thaw. Add the slushy cliff bottom conditions and my advice would be to wait. By the following weekend most of the snow will be gone and any loose stuff hopefully will have found its way down. Early Spring conditions (effectively what we're about to see) has its risks. Because the uberfall cliff gets climbed a lot, gets more sun, and is shorter than much of the remaining trapps, I'd suspect that would be the ideal place to climb this weekend if one were so inclined. Not without those risks, but the place where it would be minimized.

Ken Carrara wrote:How much snow is on the ground? Its supposed to be a very warm weekend, Im just not sure how much still needs to melt. Thinking about climbing Sundayand maybe let Saturday be a melt day?
Bring a tarp and a rope bag imho
Chris Reyes · · Montclair, NJ · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 40

Any updates from today?

Was thinking about heading over tomorrow for some (hopefully) dry rock. I've got not so fun memories of being pelted by melting ice at the beginning of last years season though.

Michael89 · · Doylestown, PA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

There will certainly be snow/slush on the carriage road and the ground, but there should be enough dry rock to have fun. I was up skiing today and saw at least a few parties climbing and the trapps were surprisingly dry.

There will probably be some falling ice, though it might not get below freezing tonight, so maybe not.

bobbyd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I'm down to do some trad climbing if anyone wants to meet up. I have a rack, but I'm fairly inexperience on lead. I think I can lead around 5.7 or 5.8 and follow into the ten range (at the Gunks, specifically).

Any takers?

lucander · · Stone Ridge, NY · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 240

I was out today, got in 4 pitches and 10k of skiing. Rock is ok.......depending where you climb. We didn't get past the Uberfall, and routes were all dry. Beyond that, expect a mixed bag - there's still snow covering the GTL and seepage is inevitable in many places.

Note that the Stairmaster is closed, only parking is at West Trapps.

Tarp for keeping gear out of snow and boots for walking Undercliff highly recommended.

DL

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply