Mountain Project Logo

Whitney Permit Trip Itinerary.

Original Post
Sage Maas · · Ventura, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 67

Application just opened for Whitney and I don't know what to put for the trip itinerary. The options for camping are Consultation lake, Lost Pine Lake, outpost camp, SEKI crabtree (83), SEKI other, and Trail Camp. We were hoping to stay at Iceberg lake and climb the East buttress the next day. What option should I put? Much appreciated!

Ronald B · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

If you're planning to camp at Iceberg lake and do East Buttress it's a different permit from the regular Whitney trail. It's basically the same permit as people doing the Mountaineers Route, which is the permit for North Fork of Lone Pine Creek, and it is not part of the lottery.

recreation.gov/permits/Inyo…

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

N.Fork of Lone Pine Creek is correct. A good bit of the approach is cross country travel, although enough people have done this trip to leave a pretty well defined user trail. People have done the E Buttress car to car, but I would want to be familiar with the approach as well as extremely fit before I tried that.

Sage Maas · · Ventura, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 67

Thanks so much guys! I would have missed out on the registration for this. I applied for the wrong permit last night. I really appreciate it.

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

Def North Fork Lone Pine creek. There is a separate process than for main trail permits but its still a lottery, as are all permits in high demand areas(edited, I was wrong). Another option if you dont get the permits by signing ahead of time is to show up at the ranger station the morning before your trip and enter another lottery. Of course, you need a solid backup plan in case you dont get the permits.

Also, the approach isnt cross country, unless you get lost. There is a bit of slab to walk across, but there are plenty of ducks/cairns.

East Buttress is fun, but depending on your alpine rick experience, hiking in one day, then summiting and then hiking out the same day (total one night at Iceberg lake) is a bit ambitious/strenuous, and you are almost garunteed to be hiking in the dark. As long as you can make it down the Ebersbacher ledges before dark you'll be ok, but I wouldnt want to try them in the dark

rafael wrote:Def North Fork Lone Pine creek. There is a separate process, but its still a lottery, as are all permits in high demand areas.
Actually, it's first come, first served at the recreation.gov website. For example, there are still some available in late July at the moment (probably not for long) recreation.gov/permits//r/e…
rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

corrected above

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

N Fork Lone Pine to add to the chorus

Trevor Wende · · Miami, FL · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

To those who have done this, do you know - In the NF of LP section trail permit, is it the:

(A) Overnight VISITING mt whitney, or
(B) Overnight EXITING mt whitney

option that is needed for doing east face with overnight at iceberg lake?

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622

Be aware North Fork of Lone Pine Creek has permit 6 spots per day.

Trevor Wende wrote:To those who have done this, do you know - In the NF of LP section trail permit, is it the: (A) Overnight VISITING mt whitney, or (B) Overnight EXITING mt whitney option that is needed for doing east face with overnight at iceberg lake?
I believe that it counts as "visiting" if you come back down to Iceberg lake and exit back down the mountaineers route from that point, and it is "exiting" if you take the main Mt. Whitney trail back down.
Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622

That's it - going to Iceberg/Boyscout via North Fork, doing a route on Whitney/Russell and returning back down the North Fork is "visiting".

Trevor Wende · · Miami, FL · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Perfect, thank you for the info!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Whitney Permit Trip Itinerary."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started