Mountain Project Logo

Matthes Crest in early June

Original Post
Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 98

Is it typically possible to climb Matthes Crest in early June? If so, where would you camp since it looks like Tuolumne Campground doesn't open until mid-July?

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
Bob Johnson wrote:Is it typically possible to climb Matthes Crest in early June? If so, where would you camp since it looks like Tuolumne Campground doesn't open until mid-July?
Based on the snow so far this year, I wouldn't count on the 120 being open by early June. That could change, of course, but January saw record snowfall in the eastern sierra.

Not sure where you would camp- i'm sure locals can chime in on that.
C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 551

How early? Given the level of snow this year I would expect a very late opening of highway 120, possibly not until mid-June. In 2011, the road did not open until June 18th.

If Matthes Crest is your main objective, I would highly suggest planning your trip for late July early August instead of June.

You can camp a variety of places just east of the park entrance, for example down the road to Saddle bag lake. If you PM me, I can send you a list of places you can bivy outside of the park for free

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 11,659

Of course it's a long ways in from the road to reach the Matthes Crest (need to cross another ridge). And if you want to do the traditional South ridge, then it's even longer.
So this year ... just breaking trail into there thru the snow could be an adventure in itself. Doing that as a single-day round trip from parking would be a macho achievement. Maybe just reaching and climbing the North ridge of Matthes is more realistic?

Might consider something closer to the road (Cathedral Peak).
or North Ridge of Mt Conness (which does not require that Tioga Pass be open).

There are some other great ridges in the Sierra whose trailheads are more likely to be plowed by mid-June: N ridge of Lone Pine Peak. Or shorter with lots of fun rock is the Crystal Crag by Mammoth Lakes.

Ken

Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 98

Ok thanks. Maybe I'll plan to do it in July or August then.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply