SMC, REI, CHOUINARD equipment looking for insight from climbers

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Fred Durrance · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 90

maybe y'all can help me out with some insight... and I'll post pictures underneath this post but all over eBay and Amazon anywhere really I see people posting old black diamond and chouinard hexcentrics and nut stopper sets of 4 or 5 for 50+ dollars. and atleast from my perspective and who I've talked to on here it just doesn't seem like theres a chance they'll sell for that much. I've got a few old pieces but it was all my dad's gear

locking biners

chouinard stoppers

I have one other chouinard biner identical to the oval one in this pic and anywhere online shopping people have got these "vintage" carabiners for 30+ dollars

both all rei carabiners and the gloves have to markings at all

Alex Bedenbaugh · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I'd believe you're correct. IMO, ebay is probably the single worst place on earth to buy used gear. Everybody wants a ridiculous amount of money, hell I've seen Forged Friends going for like $40 or more. At the consignment gear shop I frequent, old nuts usually go for around $3 each and old non-locking carabiners $2-3. If I were you, I'd keep the gear. It's still more than usable and has more sentimental than monetary value.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,772

You might see stuff priced as fairly expensive, but, search for items that have sold. That's a better idear of the market for "collectible" used gear.

If you've got an old "Alcoa" Chouinard...those are fairly rare and folks pay way more than for a standard D carabiner.

Those older straight sided stoppers are worth something...I'd think.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply